Regal Credit Consultants

Hiya

Just a quick question on these. Does anyone know who they are? I've been to their website ( https://www.regal-credit.co.uk ) and can only find out that they are a debt collector.
We have received a bizarre letter from them addressed to the occupier, basically saying re my husband, that they are updating their database info in accordance with the DPA 1984 with regards to my husband. It asks to confirm if he lives here or not and if not, do we have details for him.
He cannot think that he has any old debts that are outstanding and basically has no idea who they are.
has anyone had any dealings with this co, or had a similar letter from another co, and any advice on what we should do?

Thanks

Comments

• Ems! wrote:
    Hiya

Just a quick question on these. Does anyone know who they are? I've been to their website ( https://www.regal-credit.co.uk ) and can only find out that they are a debt collector.
    We have received a bizarre letter from them addressed to the occupier, basically saying re my husband, that they are updating their database info in accordance with the DPA 1984 with regards to my husband. It asks to confirm if he lives here or not and if not, do we have details for him.
    He cannot think that he has any old debts that are outstanding and basically has no idea who they are.
    has anyone had any dealings with this co, or had a similar letter from another co, and any advice on what we should do?

Thanks

I personally would do 2 things.

Firstly ignore the letter but keep it to hand.

Secondly get your husband to obtain a credit report from both Equifax and Experian. This should show any defaults or discrepencies. If he did have a debt but has not received any corresepondence from it for 6 years he is not obliged to pay it.

You only want the £2 reports!

https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/gb_consumerletter.ehtml

http://www.wiseconsumer.uk.experian.com/
  • Don't answer the letter. Regal Credit are a rather nasty pack of debt buyers. If you feel like complaining, heres a couple of e-mail addresses for the Customer Relationship Manager, one Nigel Rutzler.

Nigel Rutzler on 01 276 470510

or by email
    [email="nigelr@regalcredit.co.uk"]nigelr@regalcredit.co.uk[/email]

or one of his personal e-mail addresses

[email="nrutzler@lineone.net"]mailto:nrutzler@lineone.net[/email]
  • If there are any old debts (older than 6 years) use the letter below. DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE any debt to them.
    WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account No/Reference No:

No debt is acknowledged to you. You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”.

The last payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed. Any such action WILL be defended and challenged on the above grounds.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed. If you do not supply such confirmation, I will be making a complaint to the statutory authorities.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your signature)
    http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/docs/cp151apa.pdf

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=25_liability_for_debts_and_the_limitation_act
  • Harassed wrote:
    Don't answer the letter. Regal Credit are a rather nasty pack of debt buyers. If you feel like complaining, heres a couple of e-mail addresses for the Customer Relationship Manager, one Nigel Rutzler.

Nigel Rutzler on 01 276 470510

or by email
    [email="nigelr@regalcredit.co.uk"]nigelr@regalcredit.co.uk[/email]

or one of his personal e-mail addresses

[email="nrutzler@lineone.net"]mailto:nrutzler@lineone.net[/email]

The problem with contacting them is you are then letting them know where you live. They can then contact you about any outstanding debts! You could then be liable for them!
  • Ems!
    Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks for the replies. We are pretty sure there is no outstanding debt - certainly not a recent one, and he says even when he had more debt when he was younger and had more debts they were always paid on time and he hasn't left anything outstanding.
    I think we will check his credit reports but not reply to the letter.
  • Hi.

Today I have received TWO letters from Regal Credit Consultants. Both are addressed to The Occupier, the address is fairly correct although the county has been spelt wrongly. The letters are very basic, it asks us to contact Mrs King "regarding a very important matter" & that's it. There is then a ref number to quote. The ref number is different on both letters.

I am not going to reply as firstly, my partner & I have no debts outstanding as far as we are concerned & secondly the whole letter is very basic & in my past experience if you have any outstanding debts the company concerned would at least mention who the debt was concerning.

Should I be worried? As I say, I am sure we personally do not have any debts outstanding but my credit card was cloned recently causing no end of problems.

Has anyone else had any of these letters recently & if so has anyone contacted them?

Thanks
  • Hello,

I have just received a letter from these guys addressed to "The Occupier", the address is only partially right. The letter explains nothing, it asks me to contact Mrs King "regarding a very important matter" & that's it. There is then a ref number to quote.

What's going on? I have no outstanding debt and this really worries me

Help!!!!!

Dr.
  • Hi Drdee

Don't worry, they are just fishing, if you don't owe anything they can't do anything to you. You might want to check your credit reference file to make sure that something hasn't been added to your file in error.

THEY have a duty to prove to you that you owe money, you do NOT have to prove that you DON'T, there are letters you can send to them telling them to naff off (see www.nationaldebtline.co.uk who I think have some to say that it isn't you rdebt) but if you send them one of these DO NOT SIGN it, there are all sorts of horror stories about debt collection agencies that have scanned in signatures and used them to mock up 'real' credit agreements etc and it isn't worth the risk.

Good luck getting these sharks off your back
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • RichOneday_2
    RichOneday_2 Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    There's a few companies that buy very aged debt for virtually nothing, 1p in £ or less not unusual, on the basis that the companies selling the debt know it has all but extinguished it's value because of the 6 year limitation.

These companies can obviously buy vast portfolios of debt for next to nothing. They are not into flogging dead horses so the first action they take is to establish which debtors are at the last known address. They obviously can't say why they are contacting because they know you wont respond so they leave an 'air of mystery'.

Once they've narrowed the field down to those at last known address they can then go about exploiting these debtors' lack of knowledge. If they collect 10% of face value overall they make a killing so will use any pressure they can think of.

Simple action - Ignore.

A similar company are called 'Telogram' and send a card that tries to lead you in to believing you have a telegram. Although to me that is so amateurish - do telegrams still exist? And if so, who uses them?
    Gt NW 1/2 Marathon 21/2/2010 (Target=1:22:59) (6:20/mile) 1:22:47 (6:19):j:j
    Blackpool Marathon 11/4/2010 (Target=2:59:59) (6:52/mile)
    Abingdon Marathon 17/10/2010, (Target=2:48:57) (6:27/mile)
    09/10 Race Results : http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=103461
    Racing Plans/Results - Post 3844 (page193)
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    does the queen not send telegrams to people who are 100?
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family