Energy comparison sites not telling the whole story?

Options
grex9101
grex9101 Posts: 1,534 Forumite
Was thinking of switching electricity suppliers, so had a look at a couple of different comparison sites (uswitch+energyhelpline)

BUT

they only ask your total spend - i was initially amazed to find a saving of £250+!
However, they had not based this on Kwh - i worked out that i had used 11242 in the last year with scottishpower - but i have two different rates- one for heating, and the other for general use. It now seems i already am getting a good deal....

The moral of this story is, don't take the comparison sites for face value-dig a little deeper befor commiting!
The word is BOUGHT, not BROUGHT.
It's LOSE, NOT LOOSE.
You ask for ADVICE not ADVISE.

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    grex9101 wrote:
    Was thinking of switching electricity suppliers, so had a look at a couple of different comparison sites (uswitch+energyhelpline)

BUT

they only ask your total spend..........

Energyhelpline give you the choice of inputting spend or kwh usage. You should definitely always put in your actual usage if you want an accurate figure.
  • chalky_bertie
    Options
    grex9101 wrote:
    The moral of this story is, don't take the comparison sites for face value-dig a little deeper befor commiting!

Spot on! Allways get the prices of the fuel you are purchasing ie gas / electric and check them against your current supplier then work out a couple of bills manually and you will se how close some of them can be to what you pay now. Then there is your discounts to take into consideration from your current supplier.
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • jos22
    jos22 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    I tried several switching sites and they all told me I would save over £100. All gave a different company as the lowest price. I inputted my current spend NOT kwh.
    I then using the various unit prices quoted on the sites used a spreadsheet & my current useage. Surprise, surprise noth like £20 saving let alone £100+.
    Of course until all the companies have finished the current round of price rises no point in doing anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure