PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Purchasing A Second Property

Options
I am looking at renting my house out as an investment for the future and possibbly purchasing a second property. Can anyone tell me what I should be careful of and what dangers there are? Apart from being able to afford both mortgages. Any replies welcome

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comments

• k500xjs
    Options
    Hi
    Make sure that you get advice from a good letting agent, they will tell you what legal responsiblities you have to the tenants of your home, ie servicing boiler, electric test etc, good news is that all the expenses are tax allowable from the income you get when you maintain the house, a good landlord usually gets good tenants

Buying a second home wait a while prices are about to fall back after christmas then bargin hard to buy it at the right price
  • Dont forget to check with your mortgage lender to see if you can actually let the property - they may put some restrictions on letting. There are some letting Companies who will take on the property for a fixed term and guarantee rental whether or not there is a tenant in there. The tenancy agreement then is with the Co. who then sub-let to the tenant. I think this is a better way as you will always be sure of rent - and any probs with the sub-tenants the Tenant i.e. the rental company has the problem of dealing with. Also they guarantee to put the property back to original condition.
  • Dec_3
    Dec_3 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I never thought of that. Not having any rent coming in was one of the biggest worries. I will take this further. Thanks once again

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • stuartlwilliams
    Options
    Beware rising interest rates! Too many people see the profit of renting at current rates. Redo your numbers with a 1.5% or more rate rise, and see what happens.
  • Dec_3
    Dec_3 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Good thinking, but its all on the back burner anyway. The missus is now pregnant so i am going to be to stressed anyway to dealing with a new baby as well as a 2 year old, arrrrrggghhh!!!!. Thanks for your input. Oh by the way if you have any ideas how to deal with the stress of kids i would apprecaite it. Cheers

• voucher_queen_3
    Options
    make sure that the letting agent you pick is a member of a trade association my old one ran off with 2k of my money and my tenants >:( buyer beware

He is being investigated by the fraud squad!!

Also if you are planning to buy a house of multiple occupation (hmo) more than 2 separate households at address then you will need to comply with certain regulations eg fire extinguishers, fire dectection system, enviromental health inspections - check with your local council should be able to advise good luck
    I want to...........?
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tax wise you would be better off moving into the new property and letting out your existing one. A good explanation of the odd CGT rules can be found here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure