🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Frustrated BASIC ACCOUNT holder

Options
Help! have basic account,(co-operative) due to my current account being closed in 2000. This has resulted in one default on my credit record. The default was paid in full. Had a look at my credit record last week. (still there)
Have tried in the pass to open a current account, but have been told get the default removed, and then I can have one opened. How do I removed this? ???
I need an account that doesn't require a certain amount of money to be paid in each month.
Any suggestions? From a frustrated basic account holder.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    It would appear to me that your credit record is not to blame but the fact that you do not want to pay in money regularly.
    Is there a reason why you cannot/will not do this?
    Eric
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Contact Equifax and ask them to amend your credit reference

http://www.equifax.co.uk/contact.html

Tel: 0800 7839421
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Contact Equifax and ask them to amend your credit reference

They won't remove it. Once you have a default it stays on your credit record for 6 years, even if you pay the debt in full. The fact that you defaulted is precisely the reason why the credit record exists. It tells other potential lenders that you have mis-managed your debt in the past.

You are stuck with a default for 6 years ... nothing you can do. And do not be fooled by those companies who claim they can "clean up" your credit record for a fee. You can do anything they do .. but even they cannot get a default removed.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport