please advise re bank error Abbey

Options

Comments

• bookworm1363
    Options
    You got 3k that you knew wasnt yours and spent it,
    No, he didn't, the bank told him more than once that it was his.
    repay it like any reasonable grown up adult would.
    To whom? Abbey doesn't owe the debt any more, the DCA sure as hell hasn't given the OP any money, so he doesn't owe them the money either.

As for "any reasonable grown up adult", I doubt that anyone would pay 3k to the first Tom !!!!!! or Harry who comes up to them in the street and says: "Hey, I gave you £3k 10 yrs ago, now I want it back". If you are one of these "reasonable grown up adult" people however, do let me have a contact name and number cos I really could do with someone giving me £3k right now. :D:D:D
    However any one of them wouldnt have spent it in the first place, frankly he deserves all the harassment and worry he gets.
    But he won't, because I have told him how to get rid of the parasites.

I know, I know, it must be really irritating to people like you to see normal people being told how to stand up for their rights, and you being unable to stop it and all you can do is spew some bile, but that just makes me even happier to help people. Ain't that a hoot? :beer:
  • pops24
    pops24 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Money saving expert = profit generating expert for the unscrupolous

You got 3k that you knew wasnt yours and spent it, repay it like any reasonable grown up adult would.

However any one of them wouldnt have spent it in the first place, frankly he deserves all the harassment and worry he gets.
    thanks for post,I appreciate your POV however i can assure you he did not do this dishonestly & offered to pay back money spent but refused to be held accountable for an additional £2000+ which was not spent.
  • bookworm1363
    Options
    pops24 wrote: »
    Equitable estoppel may be invoked and it's unlikely the bank would chance court on a case where they themselves told the OP that the money was his.

Does it matter that my brother has no written evidence of the bank tellin them money was his as he phoned & called into branch & was told.
    That's irrelevant now. He has no further dealing with the bank. Don't contact them, they are not interested. They flogged the debt for a portion of its value to the DCA and mitigated their loss that way, forget about them. the only ones he needs to deal with now are the DCA, and tel lthem the alleged is statute-barred and that's that.

Read my lips: They can not collect a debt which is statute-barred. It's barred. By statute. ;)
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    thanks for post,I appreciate your POV however i can assure you he did not do this dishonestly & offered to pay back money spent but refused to be held accountable for an additional £2000+ which was not spent.

The bank couldnt possibly know about a cheque unless it was cashed. The father is clearly lying and cashed it.

Dissapointing but the only way the bank would have that on the account.

As for bookworm, just because you are involved in some amatuer site doesnt make you some sort of authority on everything :)

The DCA are entitled to chase this debt and as its a valid debt it should be repaid.
  • bookworm1363
    Options
    As for bookworm, just because you are involved in some amatuer site doesnt make you some sort of authority on everything :)
    never pretended I was either, that's why I confine myself to the bank and consumer forums. :p
    The DCA are entitled to chase this debt and as its a valid debt it should be repaid.
    Nope. Oh, and nope. Statute-barred. Does what it says on the tin. You repeating over and over that it is a valid debt doesn't make it so.

I think I'll leave you to argue with yourself now, seems to be the only way you'll get someone to agree with you. :beer:
  • pops24
    Options
    The bank couldnt possibly know about a cheque unless it was cashed. The father is clearly lying and cashed it.

Whereas I respect your POV i do not appreciate you making assumptions on a man you do not know. So please, I know my fathber & know without doubt he is an honest person i.e he provided all statements to show he had not cashed or received money!! If you read the post you would see that the Bank could not provide any proof of a cheque being cashed, they merely decided to chase him for the

If you read the post you would see that the Bank could not provide any proof of a cheque being cashed, they merely decided to chase him for the amount they wrongly desposited, I can only assume you work for a DCA/Abbey :rolleyes:

Why are you on, if not only to put down people who try to help?
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options

Whereas I respect your POV i do not appreciate you making assumptions on a man you do not know. So please, I know my fathber & know without doubt he is an honest person i.e he provided all statements to show he had not cashed or received money!! If you read the post you would see that the Bank could not provide any proof of a cheque being cashed, they merely decided to chase him for the

If you read the post you would see that the Bank could not provide any proof of a cheque being cashed, they merely decided to chase him for the amount they wrongly desposited, I can only assume you work for a DCA/Abbey :rolleyes:

Why are you on, if not only to put down people who try to help?

Abbey would not have chased for the full 3k unless it had been spent. They would have recovered what they could and chased the rest.
  • pops24
    Options
    Abbey would not have chased for the full 3k unless it had been spent. They would have recovered what they could and chased the rest.[/quote]

I shall leave you on your high horse, but if you can help (I'm guessing not:rolleyes: ) I can go into detail.:A
  • bookworm1363
    Options
    Pops, don't bother answering, s/he sees I'm not biting, so is trying to get under your skin instead. Ignore it, it will go away. You have all the advice you need to deal with this efficiently and with the minimum of fuss, so go ahead. :beer:
  • pops24
    Options
    Well said, I will keep you updated, thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business