any experience of meals on wheels?

Options
Hi all,
does anyone have eals on wheels(or whatever they call them now)
we are awaiting a O.T /S.S visit and they mentioned these on the phone to me.
I work 2 days a weeks and hubbie cannot make a hot meal,I do leave him a sandwich but unless someone encourages him to eat he won't bother(not good as his meds should be taken with food)
how does this work now,I believe the meals are delivered frozen aren't they?
any help welcome.

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think each borough is different but here they deliver a frozen meals once a fortnight and they need to be either heated in the oven or microwave. Its £2.50 per meal and I believe they have 10 different menus, examples are carribean, indian, diabetic, kosher, vegetarian etc... I believe they give you a catalogue with the menu choices you can then pick your choice of meal for the amount of days.. its for a main meal and dessert...
    But as you say your hubby won't bother unless someone encourages him maybe it might not work for you.. he would have to microwave the meal himself..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • somebody_else
    Options
    eckythump wrote: »
    Hi all,
    does anyone have eals on wheels(or whatever they call them now)
    we are awaiting a O.T /S.S visit and they mentioned these on the phone to me.
    I work 2 days a weeks and hubbie cannot make a hot meal,I do leave him a sandwich but unless someone encourages him to eat he won't bother(not good as his meds should be taken with food)
    how does this work now,I believe the meals are delivered frozen aren't they?
    any help welcome.
    As far as I recall, meals are booked 1 or 2 weeks at a time and as you say delivered frozen. As far as I'm aware they're no longer delivered daily, like they used to be.

I'm not sure how this will help OH if he needs prompting to eat a meal though - will he actually bother to take a meal out of the freezer and heat it up (I believe they're all microwaveable so dealing with a conventional oven shouldn't be an issue) each day?

It will be worth discussing this with the OT/SW - they might be able to arrange for someone to come in each day and heat the meal for him and prompt him to eat, but I'm not sure about that.
    s/e
  • somebody_else
    Options
    My apologies, it looks like they've re-instated the hot meal delivery in certain circumstances.

You should be able to find the information you're looking for here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/SupportAtHome/DG_4000682
    s/e
  • eckythump
    eckythump Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks,the woman on the phone definatly mentioned some one heating it up and serving it to him,I was just trying to find out if the company they use is any good,if not can you leave food to be heated.
  • eckythump
    eckythump Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    My apologies, it looks like they've re-instated the hot meal delivery in certain circumstances.

You should be able to find the information you're looking for here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/SupportAtHome/DG_4000682

thanks,having trouble finding the info for Wales,as usual :rolleyes:
  • somebody_else
    Options
    My apologies again - that link only applies to England.

A quick google wasn't very helpful; would this give you a starting point?

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp?cat=1652
    s/e
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    I hadn't realised they'd changed meals on wheels and now did frozen meals. My MIL used to get a hot meal delivered to her every day and it was such a big help. It seems daft to me that they'll deliver frozen food that has to be reheated, you may as well just buy some frozen ready meals from the supermarket, it would be cheaper too!
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    they are delivered hot, on the day here. £4 a day for a main course and pud.
  • Valley's_girl
    Options
    they are delivered hot, on the day here. £4 a day for a main course and pud.

My auntie had meals on wheels and the meal was hot not sure how much she had to pay though.
    ally
    Official DMP Mutual Support Club Member No 30
  • weanie
    weanie Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Mum had MOW some time ago an for a while they were suited to purpose. The delivery/meal was subsidised and we paid £3 per meal after each month of meals. Mus sai d she did not like fish - so this was noted. The meals were delivered efficiently within a range of acouple of hours and to the door. there was not chat apart from a hello I am afraid [Women's Institute they were not - more aprofit making company]. The food was bland and always inclued a stodgy custard soaked pud and they were hottish. Tehidea is to eat them straight away I suppose but Mum stacked them up and we never knew from which day they were and ende up throwing them out as time went on. A pizza or a portion of fish and chips delivered to the home was something we considered as better valu and more interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure