edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
5 replies 896 views
NicholasNicholas Forumite
629 Posts
Part of the Furniture
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi,

I am home sick for the next couple of weeks, and will be ringing my wife fairly frequently to her Orange mobile.

Bearing in mind I still have £14 credit left with Onetel that I am trying to use up, I thought of discountdial as I will only be using the credit at 4p a minute rather than 13.25p direct through Onetel.

I have set up the dialler to route the call, using 08444289090#####, but I still have to put in a # manually other wise the call just hangs. I know I could program the phone with a # at the end of the number, but if my wife (who is hopeless with these sorts of things) uses the phone to ring me if I am out will have problems as she does not even use speeddial. She will just punch in the mobile number from her little diary manually.

Is there anyway to get the router to fully automate the call? (Hope this makes sense)

Replies

• Hi Nicholas,
    This should save me a mail or two later on!! The dialler cannot and will not be able to add a # at the end of the dialled number. In practical terms this would be a real problem, how would the dialler know whe you have finished dialling the number? What if you dial slowly, not all numbers are the same length, and so on. What we would recommend is adding a # to the phonebook memory in your phone. Hope this helps.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's what I call service!
    Nicholas wrote:
    I know I could program the phone with a # at the end of the number, but if my wife (who is hopeless with these sorts of things) uses the phone to ring me if I am out will have problems as she does not even use speeddial. She will just punch in the mobile number from her little diary manually.
    It looks like insertion of # in red ink after your mobile number in her little diary is necessary!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • NicholasNicholas Forumite
    629 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote:
    Now that's what I call service!

It looks like insertion of # in red ink after your mobile number in her little diary is necessary!

I am slow today!! Get her to write the# mark in her diary. Too easy for me to have thought of that. Thanks.
  • NicholasNicholas Forumite
    629 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Hi Nicholas,
    This should save me a mail or two later on!! The dialler cannot and will not be able to add a # at the end of the dialled number. In practical terms this would be a real problem, how would the dialler know whe you have finished dialling the number? What if you dial slowly, not all numbers are the same length, and so on. What we would recommend is adding a # to the phonebook memory in your phone. Hope this helps.

I didn't realise that Orchid monitored this website so frequently. That being the case, may I thank you once again for my replacement dialler at the beginning of February, and it's still working OK. Keep up the fantastic work:T :A
  • I have to be honest and say that we dont (sorry) it was just a case of being in the right place at the right time, and i couldn't help myself. If you do ever need help it is always best to use the [email protected] address, if you dont get the answer you are looking for here.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides