Claiming Travel Expenses

Options
I currently live within a 10 walk of work and later in the year we are due to move premisses which will take me about an hour to get to on the bus and cost me roughly £60 a month in fares

Am I entitled to claim this back or is it all at the employers discretion?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,945 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't believe you're entitled to claim it back, although a good employeer might offer to cover the cost at least for a while.
  • sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    If you do receive any payment from your employer, purely for your journey from home to work and back again, it would be taxable.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Inland Revenue does not allow you to claim travel to and from your permanent place of work (it is acceptable if this is a temporary move - not expected to be over 48 months, but not otherwise) Some companies would give a relocation payment for the move which may be a one off payment based on the excess travel - guess it will depend if your company offers this
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Inland Revenue does not allow you to claim travel to and from your permanent place of work (it is acceptable if this is a temporary move - not expected to be over 48 months, but not otherwise) Some companies would give a relocation payment for the move which may be a one off payment based on the excess travel - guess it will depend if your company offers this

IR is now HMRC ;)
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Inland Revenue does not allow you to claim travel to and from your permanent place of work

errm yes it does. What it doesn't allow is for that payment to be tax free.

It's up to your employer what he offers, if anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure