backdating family tax credits

Options
hi guys,
my GF hasnt been claiming the tax credits she has been due for, wait for it.....3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now, i have only just discovered this and told her to get her backside in gear and claim what she is owed.
will she be able to get all the backdated payments (she is living with her mother at the moment with her son)
she thought that because she is working that she wouldn't be entitled to anything!
can anyone advise me on how to go about composing a letter to send to.............. ( not even sure who she will need to send it to?)

HELP!

Comments

• munchings-n-crunchings
    Options
    Hi james3333,

I wouldn't put too much into a letter.
    The maximum backdate is 3 months.
    It's up to the individual to claim, and to check their entitlement, and ignorance is not a reason for getting back what's owed.

Phone tax credits on 0845 300 3900, and get a claim in now, don't leave it any longer.

Regards

Munchie
  • james3333
    james3333 Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    3 months!..........OMG! na, surely there is a way to get the lot back?
  • munchings-n-crunchings
    Options
    It's always up to the claimant to make sure they are getting what they are entitled to.

It's in your GF's best interest to claim what she was due, or at least to make enquiries as to her entitlement......don't take this the wrong way, but it shouldn't take her BF to tell her to claim what's due.... all 3 years of it!

I would suggest it be a lesson learned the hard way.

Phone up today, or it's another day less!

Regards
    Munchie.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi james3333, unfortunately munchings-n-crunchings is correct.

Every year there is a media campaign encouraging people to claim what they are entitled to. In this case it is child tax credits and/or working tax credits.

The maximum backdating is 3 months (93 days).
  • james3333
    james3333 Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    bummer, she wont be happy.........but thanks guys!:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business