Cheapest Direct Enquiries number

edited 20 March 2014 at 6:55PM in Phones & TV
6 replies 838 views
DieHardDieHard Forumite
168 Posts
edited 20 March 2014 at 6:55PM in Phones & TV
Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Free Directory Enquiries guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

I have to use direct enquiries a lot. Does anyone know if there is any advantage to using a different 118 number? I have been using 118 707 because I thought it was a lower rate but I now think the lower rate may only apply to business calls if you subscribe to the service. If you do not subscribe to the service is the charge just the same as the normal BT 118 number, does anyone know if this is this true?

What 118 number does everyone else use, which is the cheapest?

Replies

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read Martin's article linked to in the blue bar above this forum ;)
  • DieHardDieHard Forumite
    168 Posts
    Thanks for that Edinburghlass. I just noticed that article and it was very useful (I will be using Conduit from now on). I would still like to know if BT charge the standard rate for 118 707 (i.e. the same rate as 118 500) even though it says it is 30p flat rate on the website that is linked on that article.
  • Dont know if this number still works but if free directory enquiries, dont mention to them its free though as they might get the number blocked.
    Worth a try though might still be in use.
    0800 0192 192
    Coolsteel :cool:
    A fool and their money are easily parted.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    0800 0192 190
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Do not know if this is of any use, but I tend to use the following link that I picked up a couple of years ago through an affiliate program but have noticed that Martin provides the direct link as below in his article.

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/

of course I have the advantage of being sat next to the computer when I mainly need directory enquiries, but have found it quick and very useful as there is no limit to the number of searches per day.

Hope this helps
    I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • DieHardDieHard Forumite
    168 Posts
    Thanks for the freephone number that is brillant!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals