Please Help Housing Benefit & Eviction

Options
Hello

My situation is: I am 28, Unemployed claiming job seekers allowance, living in London in the borough of barnet. I am going to be kicked out of my accommodation in a month.:mad:

I have less than 2grand in savings. I need to find somewhere to live 1/2bed flat & want to claim housing benefit.

Firstly, do I have to tell the landlord for a new flat that I'm going to claim? I have heard they generally don’t like unemployed tenants. Will the landlord be contacted by the housing agency to let them know I'll be claiming? Is better to use letting agencies? Will they take people wishing to claim housing benefit?

How do I work out my allowance? I want somewhere affordable as I hope to be in employment soon and am applying for jobs around 21-27K.

I presume your housing benefit allowance differs across the London boroughs. I dont mind relocating to another borough as long as it safe. Any tips on what the best resources to use are to find a flat. I have checked local newsagents and online on gumtree.

I would really appreciate any help and advice.

Thank you all MSE community

Comments

• julie03
    julie03 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    we found a house that took dss through loot but we had to make ALOT of calls before we found that. you need to find a private landlord rather than agency as you will need a guarentor and sometimes councils have lists of landlords that take benefits, overall i think it is better to be upfront especially if you have just lost your job due to the credit crunch,
    good luck
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I can't help much,but yes,the allowances vary across the boroughs. I think you would be better to be upfront about being on benefit-a common enough thing these days and a plus with some landlords. You have your deposit-a definite plus. But as a single occupant you couldn't get HB for a 2 bed-only for 1.In some areas the HB amount for 1 person might only afford you a studio.You have the option to take a dearer place and find the rest of the rent yourself.

I'm sorry I can't help with the rest. Perhaps ask friends re where to live etc?
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Options
    my council town hall has a list of rentaing agents who take DSS. perhaps your town hall/housing people have the same. they may want a guarantor though.xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure