high usage??

Options
i received an exeptionally high bill yeaterday for gas and elec through scottish power, had my meters fitted when moved to this house in july and although have been adjusting dd amounts with them to cover expected usage this is the first actual reading bill i've had since winter began and i'm floored!!! balances of £238 for elec and £302 for gas!!!

i've been crunching the numbers from all previous bills (cos i hord them) but have no idea how they compare to the world in general, any input would help.

house is 3 bed semi me 11yo son and 1yo daughter in it and i'm home most days.
usual elec stuff, cooker, hob, tele, laptop, washing mach and tumble (usually at night)
however there is a n elec fire that was on over winter for baby and gas ch was on 3x2hr spells too

i've worked out though that in last 6 months my average consumption has been 634 units elec/month (£80) and 224 units gas/month (£92)
is this normal or high?? i agree with start and finsh readings taken from meter as i check and noted them too, but i have a feeling its running away from me.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The average annual consumption in UK is 3,300kWh electricity and 20,500kWh for gas.

You electricity would appear to be in the region of 7,500kWh pa - although much of that could be accounted for by an "elec fire for baby" - Why do you have an electric fire when gas CH is approx one third the price for heating?

Your gas consumption does not seem that excessive. 224 units is approx 2,500kWh so 15,000kWh over winter, it will obviously be a lot less over the next 6 months.
  • HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

It seems a little bit high to me but someone else on here will be more in the know.

A couple of things drew my attention though in your post - tumble dryer, will eat electric for breakfast! It uses huge amounts. I've stopped using mine completely now.

Do you turn off things at the wall at night? Only things that stay on at the wall during the night is the fridge/freezer, the computer (cause it has a eppi fit if we turn if off at the wall - it is shutdown though) and our alarm clock radiio.

We only heat the water as we require it.

Are the kids guilty of leaving lights/games console etc on? Make them turn it off!

There are loads you can do to help reduce things both by switching and changing the way you do things.

hth. Laura x

PS - check that they are reading your meter correctly too...i.e metrically or imperially as they can get it wrong!
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • pssyct
    Options
    gas c/h is only fitted at dining end of house length living/dining room for some reason, radiator is't that ggod so seating bit got cold often :(
    i hated putting it on cause i knew it would whirl meter, so tried to keep min tho.
  • Cardew
    Options
    HalfPint wrote: »
    PS - check that they are reading your meter correctly too...i.e metrically or imperially as they can get it wrong!

The OP wrote "224 units gas/month(£92)" so that will be a Metric meter.
  • frankie41111
    Options
    Will somebody please help me? This thread seem just right for my predicament. Just received bill from Scottish Power for my gas and its an unbelievable £685 for this year up to 15th March! Meter reading was 485 units. This seem excessive to me in all respects. The start reading was estimated but wont be too far from actual while end reading was actual. OP complained about being charged £92 for 224 units, where does this place me? I just dont understand, will someone please help?
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    frankie41111: It sounds as if you have an imperial meter which means that each unit is about 31kwh. Metric meter units are about 11kwh.

Make sure you have an imperial meter - it will say ft3, cubic feet or similar. If it says cubic metres, you're in line for a nice refund.
  • frankie41111
    Options
    Many thanks.

I confirm that its an imperial meter with ft3 on it. I am however still puzzled by the high usage. House is 3bed semi. Me, wife and three kids. we are mostly out during the day as we both work and kids are all in school. Heating is programmed 2x a day. Morning and evening.

More importantly, previous occupant surprisingly switched supplier a week before leaving meaning I wasn't privy to choice of tarriff. I attempted to stop the switch, was told its ok but only discovered the switch wasn't stopped when I received this bill. Bill is a flat 3.950p pkwh and in previous occupant's name.

Any advice?
  • Cardew
    Options
    Will somebody please help me? This thread seem just right for my predicament. Just received bill from Scottish Power for my gas and its an unbelievable £685 for this year up to 15th March! Meter reading was 485 units. This seem excessive to me in all respects. The start reading was estimated but wont be too far from actual while end reading was actual. OP complained about being charged £92 for 224 units, where does this place me? I just dont understand, will someone please help?

The OP was charged £92 per month for 224 metric units a month - i.e. approx 7,500kWh in a quarter.

You have used approx 15,000kWh for 'this year'. So you are using double the amount of gas.

High room temperatures and poor insulation are the normal reasons for excessive consumption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure