Leaving

Options
Hello

I am planning to leave my job and according to the contact I need to give at least one months notice.

I have not signed the contract, so will I still need to give the notice? I was planning to give just a week.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    How long have you been with your current employer?

It would be better if you did give whatever is in your contract even if you havent signed it - you will no doubt be expecting a reference off them wont you?!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • mindyourlanguage
    Options
    I've been with them for nearly 5 years, basically the orginal company I worked for 2 years then it was bought out by managment and I worked for them for 2 years then it was bought out again and am currently still employed by them.

I don't need a reference from them, and at no time with those take overs have I signed a contract.
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    It depends how long you have worked for an employer.

Even if you havent signed a contract you would be able to claim your rights if they were sacking you for instance.

In my experience if you give your notice in a lot of employers want you to leave immediately (incase you wipe the computers ect or steal the customers I presume) but they still have to pay you notice.
    Better to get a reference and leave on good terms. Ask them what they want you to do. Or go on the sick if you cant stand working there.
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • hjb123
    Options
    I would speak to them and ask them how much notice they want you to give. If they say a month and that is what the contract says say that you have not signed a contract and are not under an obligation to stick to that!

If in any doubt contact your local citizens advice bureau and see what they say!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • mr_fishbulb
    Options
    hilary1 wrote:
    In my experience if you give your notice in a lot of employers want you to leave immediately (incase you wipe the computers ect or steal the customers I presume) but they still have to pay you notice.
    They used to do that at my old place. It was called gardening leave or something. But they only offered it to the IT guys - the ones who could do damage.
  • hjb123
    Options
    But they only offered it to the IT guys - the ones who could do damage.

Guess thats quite a sensible idea!!!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • mindyourlanguage
    Options
    Thank for all the replies, I will ask citizens advice and see what they.

Basically I'm starting up my own business hence I don't need references ans I need to leave as soon as I get dates for exchange and I sign.

If I give a months notice and the deal falls through then they'll know I was looking for another job.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Basically I'm starting up my own business hence I don't need references ans I need to leave as soon as I get dates for exchange and I sign.

If it's within the same field your employed in at the moment and within the same geographical area you may be wise to seel legal advice first.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • mindyourlanguage
    Options
    ohreally wrote:
    If it's within the same field your employed in at the moment and within the same geographical area you may be wise to seel legal advice first.

It's not in the same field, thanks
  • Red_Elle
    Options
    Even without a written contract it is taken as given in most courts of law that a rudmentary verbal agreement is entered into when you start working at a company. They would be required to give you a month's notice and vice versa. You say that you do not need a reference, but what if the business fails? Sorry to be pessimistic, but it's not unheard of! You may find at some point in the future that you require a reference and most employers these days do not let you pick and choose your referees. We always approach the previous two employers.
    The best thing is to talk to your current employer and explain the situation. Most companies are very understanding and as you have a timescale to work to, they may let you leave earlier. I have left a company sooner than the notice period allowed, with their consent, which they were not happy with, but because of the circumstances they okayed it.
    Failing that, do you have any holiday left? You could hand in your notice and if they are reluctant to let you go, then you could offer to use up your holiday to leave early. Please bear in mind that a company will need to recruit a replacement for you and it is nice for a company to have a hand over period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure