Ensuring pre-interview tasks get through and thank you letters

Options
Sorry for the long title and the slightly odd question :)

I've got an interview for a job on Wednesday, and I've been asked to email some written work by tomorrow morning. It's all done and I'm planning to send it tonight after some final editing and proof-reading. Would it be acceptable to call tomorrow morning to make sure it's got through and is 'openable', or would that come over as a bit stressy, weird or incompetent? It's a job I'm really interested in and I'd hate to fall at the first hurdle if my stuff gets lost in cyberspace, but equally I don't want to come over as odd! I don't usually have email issues but it's just my luck that this goes missing ...

Also, is it recommended to send a thank-you letter after an interview? As the job is very much based around that sort of thing I'm thinking it'd be a good idea, but again, would it come over as weird or pushy? Also, to whom do I address it - specifically to the interviewers or should I just make it a general letter?

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1 - checking on receipt -
    Can you include a "read" receipt request with your email? I'm thinking of something like with Outlook. If not, I would include a request in your covering email. If you don't get the automated Outlook-requested receipt or other confirmation, then I see no reason not to contact them in the morning just to check.

2 - thank you letters
    A simple letter does no harm in any case and it sounds as though the job you are interested in would suggest it is a good idea. I would send it to the principal interviewer/decision-maker.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do make sure you are not using a strange file format: I've had all sorts of grief when people have sent me .docx files which my version of Word can't open without me downloading something which then causes Word to crash at regular intervals. :mad:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Do make sure you are not using a strange file format: I've had all sorts of grief when people have sent me .docx files which my version of Word can't open without me downloading something which then causes Word to crash at regular intervals. :mad:

I've learnt my lesson on that one lol - it's just plain simple .doc files from now on. I loved the more up to date version of Office but it caused me no end of problems, I remember frantically trying to convert it at the last minute when I had had uni presentations and it wasn't compatible with the uni system.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One option is to turn it into pdf, another is to routinely save all files as rtf, DH uses OpenOffice at work and yet doesn't have the default as rtf or .doc :confused: Causes no end of problems when he sends files to other people.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • firstpost
    firstpost Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I'd attach a sentence to the email asking the company to confirm receipt of your email. This won't been seen as strange as email is never a 100% reliable - if they don't get back you can then always follow it up with a phone call. I wouldn't use the 'read receipt' option available in some email programs as some email systems may block the returned acknowledgment.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless instructed not to, i'd send the work as a .pdf file and get a delivered receipt.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport