We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Applying for job - advice pls

Options
2»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would only send an sae if they asked you to.

Also I wouldn't send the CV at this point. They're asking you to request an application form. Unless they are complete idiots who want to waste their time and yours, they won't look at your CV before deciding whether or not to send the form. They want you to apply by filling in the form. Also once you've got the form, you'll probably also have some more information about the job / company, so you can tailor your application to that. Without that additional information, your cv can only be very general: it's not an application for THAT job.

That is an important point: if a company wants you to apply using their form, use their form. Do NOT send a cv, however tempting it is to save time. If there's not enough room on the form, add sheets with the information laid out in the same way as the form, not the way you happen to do it on your cv.

Best of luck
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ugh 'Dear Sirs' is my personal pet hate, I get this all the time at work and I'm a MISS! It's so sexist and seems to imply that anyone in a position of power must be a male!

"Sirs" is plural and isn't meant to be to an individual person! Why does someone addressed as "Sir" have to be in a "position of power", it's just politeness.

"Dear Sir/Madam" could be used to an individual person - and so if the request is to go to a job title (rather than a named individual) would be OK - but you might as well phone up and find out whether the person who will be dealing with the request is a man or a woman and then get it right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport