Applying for job - advice pls

Options
hi guys, hope someone can help.

hubby was made redundant a couple of weeks ago. we decided we would both look for work. I have found a vacancy i want to apply for. The ad says write to..... for an application form.

Sorry to sound stupid but what do i write ? i haven't been in employment for 15 yrs and i do not have a clue, do i just say i am interested and would like an application or do i put more details about myself in the letter.

thankyou in advance for any help.
Wins in 2013 - Jan - Heinz No Noise Ketchup.

Comments

• jadziad
    jadziad Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they state to write in for an application form, it's just a formality.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing with regards to the postition of Prime Minister, reference GB001, advertised in The Times on 20 March 2009. Please forward an application form and any associated documents to the following address:

Katie Jones
    60 Jonesville Road
    Jonesville
    West Joneshire
    KT1 7NS

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,
    Katie Jones
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just wondering - would you send them a stamped SAE?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • katiejones
    katiejones Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou so much for this (although i wouldn't want his job lol).

Really was stumped, just shows how out of touch a person gets after being "just a mum" .

thanks again
  • katiejones
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Just wondering - would you send them a stamped SAE?

Ooooh hadn't thought of that. Good question.
  • katiejones
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    where was the job advertised, was it the job centre as theres a number you call, or do you mean theres no postall address mentioned in the ad

Its an ad in the local paper and gives an addres to write to for an application form.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I would - but sometimes the ad would say 'send an SAE'
    Don't forget being at home you have lots of skills eg you are clearly computer literate...blow your own trumpet so to speak and best of luck!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jadziad wrote: »
    I am writing with regards to the postition of Prime Minister, reference GB001, advertised in The Times on 20 March 2009. Please forward an application form and any associated documents to the following address:

Not correct grammar.
    Should be: I am writing with regard to the position etc.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Yours sincerely" would be the complimentary close if you had written "Dear Mrs Smith" not for a "To whom it may concern" note.

If there really isn't any indication of an individual to whom you are writing, then use "Dear Sirs ..... Yours faithfully".

Unless it was a charity and they asked for an SAE, I would not send one.
  • bumblebee23
    Options
    Ugh 'Dear Sirs' is my personal pet hate, I get this all the time at work and I'm a MISS! It's so sexist and seems to imply that anyone in a position of power must be a male! /rant

Good luck with the job application Katiejones, don't forget all those communication skills, excellent debating skills and fantastic budgeting that being a mum teaches you!
  • judy2357
    judy2357 Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Katie
    It sounds like to me you need to get a CV done. Then you can write a letter on the lines of :-

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:

I am writing with reference to the above job vacancy/position within your firm and have pleasure in enclosing my CV for your perusal. I am available to work .............but would be flexible to cover holidays/sickness etc etc.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Hope this helps a bit Im in a similar situation and am just waiting to hear if I have got a job after going for an interview this week. Judy
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure