We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Suspended from work....

Options
124»

Comments

• Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    billyjones wrote: »

Since then, I continued to work less than my contracted hours to ensure that I can assist my wife with the care of my daughter.

During the afternoons I got extremely tired and that is why I decided to clock out 30 minutes early.

These 2 statements will not stack up if you use them during the meeting. Either you were going home to help out or were going home to sleep.

I would be asking what the impact is of sloping off 30 minutes earlier is...do you catch an earlier bus and thus miss traffic etc etc...
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    Zazen999 wrote: »
    These 2 statements will not stack up if you use them during the meeting. Either you were going home to help out or were going home to sleep.

I would be asking what the impact is of sloping off 30 minutes earlier is...do you catch an earlier bus and thus miss traffic etc etc...

I think the implication was that he was extremely tired during the afternoons because he had been helping out with his daughter through the nights and so did not get much sleep.

Sou
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soubrette wrote: »
    I think the implication was that he was extremely tired during the afternoons because he had been helping out with his daughter through the nights and so did not get much sleep.

Sou

I appreciate that....just trying to help him from giving a confused reasoning under questioning. Not sure how an extra 30 minutes would make that much of a difference unless, as mentioned, he would save time on the journey home.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Write and ask for the disciplinary and grievance procedures - you're entitled to have these, even though you're suspended.

Re the gross misconduct issue - it may appear harsh, but I think it's possible to class this as GM. You've been paid to do x hours but only worked y hours so - technically - it's a form of fraud/deception.

If you work 5 days a week, there are only approx 250 working days in a year. So you have consistently worked about 1 hour a day less than you should - every single day for 12 months. At 20% of your contracted hours, that's an awful lot and I would guess that you had whole days off, or a number of half days :confused: And you've presumably taken your paid holiday entitlement in addition?

You may not wish to be candid here, but you must be wholly honest with yourself. Any reasonable person would struggle to be sympathetic with your explanation for this as it pretty much amounts to an hour every single day - which seems excessive.

I think you should prepare yourself for the worst - sorry.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    The only thing that I would add to this is that you might want to sign off sick and get a supporting letter from your GP as to the mitigating circumstances behind your fraud (and it is fraud - you knowingly reduced your working hours knowing they werent being checked) - the problem is as we are in an economic downturn it is easier to get rid of you this way than pay redundancy. I have seen it happen time and time again.
    If you know that the company are looking to get rid of bodies then I would resign - better this than get sacked.
    Unions are of no use to you now, they will not be able to help as you werent a member at the time. Does your home insurance or motor insurance have a legal helpline service - I know that mine does. If not find lawyers in the area who will give you a free first appointment. ACAS are brilliant but are likely to tell you what you already know.
  • bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The union that I dealt with during a 'procedure' said "For god sake don't go off on sick!"

It's not over until it's over Billy
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    was there other times you worked late/extra/at home which did not require clocking in? eg clocked in on arrival but worked through your breaks as you knew you were going home early on flexitime?? would these times offset some of the 200hrs you owe and you have not had chance to tell your employer because you were suspended?
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I seriously wouldn't resign over this. That's only giving them what they want without them getting their hands dirty. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Go to you meeting and offer the mitigating circumstances as above. Obviously reiterating to them that you have been a good worker for them over the past ten years will go in your favour. Call ACAS today and also go to the CAB (they can offer reallyt helpful advice).

One tip I do have is to check your home insurance policy to see if you have legal protection on it. When a family member of mine was sacked for gross misconduct, he contacted his home insurance company who gave him details of a suitable solicitor who then gave invaluable (and free!) help/advice as to what grounds to appeal on. He lost his appeal fwiw, but went on to use that information to sucessfully sue for wrongful dismissal.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family