White meter

Options
w5moss
w5moss Posts: 27 Forumite
Might seem an obvious question, but I'm just about to take possesion of a flat that I intend to rent out with electric heating. Previous electric ceiling heating broke down 5 years ago and was replaced with wall heaters in all rooms - convector, not storage. I initially queried this and had planned to put in storage heaters and ensure an economy 7 meter was installed.
When viewing a newbuild flat (so called luxury)on Brentford Lock in London, I was surprised to see a similar heating set up. No storage heaters, no gas, just convector heaters on the walls. Is this now the norm? I've heard mentioned 'white' meters. Is this another name for what I used to have many years ago, which was a dual reading meter. 1 for economy 7 and 1 for day time use?
Should I ensure I get a white meter, or replace the wall heaters?
Thanks in advbance for some help on this.

Comments

• irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    w5moss wrote:
    I've heard mentioned 'white' meters. Is this another name for what I used to have many years ago, which was a dual reading meter. 1 for economy 7 and 1 for day time use?
    Yes.
    w5moss wrote:
    Should I ensure I get a white meter, or replace the wall heaters?
    That'll depend on the usage profile of your tennant.
  • w5moss
    w5moss Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Tennants come and go. What I mean't was what is a white meter, and are they the norm these days - having had gas myself for some years I'm out of touch with electric heating
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doctor Whos come and go but Tennant(David) is here to stay I hope.

The White meter was used in the early days of economy 7 to account for the night units alongside a mechanical timer which switched the storage heaters on.
    Modern incarnations as you remember will have a dual rate meter and possibly a radio controlled switch to turn on the storage heaters, which would be on a separate circuit.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure