🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pregnant - can my employer move my place of work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ditto that ^^^ (what Annie said) - it is common practice in many jobs to ensure the safety of pregnant ladies (and their unborn babes)...moving them if necessary.
    I even knew of an INFANT school that moved a TA out of NURSERY while she was pregnant in case one of the little angels whacked her in the stomach.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    They can find you a different job yes - especially if they feel you or your baby is at any risk - so long as it's suitable then this is perfectly allowed I'm afraid but they won't reduce your salary.
    Risk assessment

When you tell your employer that you are pregnant your employer should review their risk assessment for your specific work and identify any changes that are necessary to protect you and your unborn baby's health. Your employer should involve you in the process and continue to review the assessment as your pregnancy progresses to see if any adjustments are necessary.
    These risks might be caused by:
    • lifting or carrying heavy loads
    • standing or sitting for long periods
    • exposure to toxic substances
    • long working hours

Your employer must then either remove the risk or remove you from being exposed to it (for example, by offering you suitable alternative work). If neither of these is possible, your employer should suspend you from work on full pay.

So long as the alternative work they offer you is suitable then it doesn't matter if it's the dullest job on this planet - their duty is to keep you and your baby safe, not entertained or doing something you love etc - overriding factor is safety and health.

I'm sure that you'd rather they actually looked after your health etc than left you somewhere after a risk assessment that it was deemed you weren't as safe etc as they would like? :confused:

I am on the other side of the coin here - some of the duties of my role are causing me extreem discomfort and in turn stressing me out - there is nothing stopping me working but I can't travel - so to determine if I could travel long distances and sit in an office what did I have to do? Treck across London for an occupational health evaluation by train, underground and walking 2 miles... thanks HR... really helpful! Spending 5 - 6 hours like that meant I spent the next day in bed nearly immobilised!
    Be thankful if your employer actually has the common sense to want to protect you and look after you :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • hel
    hel Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    :j Congratulations on your baby news:j
    Thanks Annie & Valli :)

I think I'm safer working where I am than in a nursery!!!!:rotfl:

Thank you for the info MrsTine, it was helpful - my 1st task tomorrow is to speak to my union rep/HR about it. I think a risk assessment will find that I'm ok where I am but I just wanted to be sure of my rights before I inform them. Your trek across London was crazy...I hope you've recovered!

No Paparika, I don't want to put my child at risk, that's why I'm considering all of the options so early on. Surely if I was the 'type of person' to try and sue my employers, I wouldn't get very far if they'd already done an assessment!!

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family