We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need Wise Advice - Uni or BT Apprenticeship

Options
2»

Comments

• EmmaD13
    EmmaD13 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Try and finish the year at uni as suggested by Lindsay. Find out whether your course accumulates CAT points - credit accumulation transfer points so if you decide to go back later you don't have to start from scratch again.

Alternatively ask your uni about putting your studies on hold for a year whilst you earn some money. This may give you the time to see whether the apprenticeship is right for you without cutting all ties to your course. You might have to change a couple of modules if you decide to go back and they no longer run them, but that's normally not too much of a problem.

Depending upon the hours and training of the apprenticeship you may be able to switch your uni course from part-time to full time. You'll be able to go back to uni at a later date should you decide you took the wrong path, but will you be able to get an apprenticeship later?

Good luck!
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you're an academic high-flyer at a Russell Group university heading for a first class degree in a shortage subject (which Business Management isn't), do the BT apprenticeship. With 50% of people going to Uni these days, of those 40% are wasting their time.

I would also say, at 19, take no notice of what your GF says about your career.
  • JoJoB
    JoJoB Posts: 2,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are not that motivated/excited aboout your uni course I would go for the BT apprenticeship. Much better to save studying for a time in your life when you discover something you've got a real passion about IMO. There's always the Open University if you want to keep up degree credits part-time.
    2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    God apprenticeships are as rare as rocking horse droppings and many people would trample over you to get that chance!

Grab it now.
    You can still work on the Uni course either alongside it possibly or at some time in the near future.
  • CheshireCat
    Options
    Definitely take the apprenticeship. I did a science degree at a Top 10 UK university and although I now have a fairly decent job, the level of debt it got me into was not worth it. Some friends of mine who went straight into work after school (with very good GCSE's) earn more than I do now....and they have no debt!!

And I went to uni before top-up fees were introduced(!)....in my opinion only medicine, vet medicine, and dentistry still offer a reasonable return for your money.
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Do the apprenticeship and study part-time.I think they will fast track you into management.
  • starsinmycrown
    Options
    Yeah, i agree. I have two friends with business degrees, and one is doing non-business related work, and the other only gets jobs because of management experience and training at a big company, not because of his degree particularly. I agree that out of the 50% that go, 40% are wasting their time. I have a good 2:1 from a uni just outside the top 10, good A-levels and gcses, but i'm STILL not qualified for anything. If i wanted to qualify, it'd be yet more expensive postgrad courses, when as mentioned, i already have £15,000 of student loan debt, and £2000 of c/c and o/d debt. My friends who left school at the same time as me and went to work are now in fairly senior positions. I'd say to anybody considering going to uni- if you don't NEED that degree for your career, don't go.
    "What...? I was only saying...."
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grab the apprenticeship before someone else does ! You can do a degree and a masters and a Phd part time anytime.
    If you stay at Uni, when you graduate there may easily be 3 million unemployed - many of them will be graduates. You could be one of them.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • barginboyrob
    Options
    postpone your degree for one year, take the apprentice for a bit and see if you like it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport