Need Wise Advice - Uni or BT Apprenticeship

Options
I am looking for some wise advice on this matter, maybe some people have been in the same situation as me.

At the moment I am studying Business Management at University, I mostly enjoy the course and am doing ok on it. I do have the chance however to go and start an apprenticeship at BT working as an openreach engineer (both in field and office). I like both, but am really stuck as to what do.

Im 19 years old and live at home with my parents, I only have board to pay each month. The BT Apprenticeship would offer me a good starting salary, and an excellent finishing salary, as well as all the extras (phones, vans, tools, paid hotels etc).

I dont know whether to leave uni, it is ok but its not what I thought it would be, but I do enjoy some of the lectures, even though I do miss some now. My girlfriend says I should do what I want, but when I mention BT she says well its up to isnt it, I feel as though she doesnt like it. At the moment Im finding it a bit harder at uni as its near enough impossible to get a part-time job where I live, and there are probably thousands of people in the area looking as well.

What do people think?

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    If it was me, I'd find out what level BT will train me to.

As it would be an apprenticeship, I'd imagine there will be further education involved (whether day release or block release). Find out what level of further education they would train you to and ask if they would be willing to let you go further if you wanted to (a lot of companies will pay for the course and allow time off to attend. As a reputable company, I'd like to think BT would do this).

As your GF says, you'll need to do whatever will make you happiest. Dont do what you think will keep other people happy.

Ask yourself if you think you can complete your uni course (you've said it's getting harder) and is that the line of work you'd be happy doing in the future.
    I'd rather get an apprenticeship now than decide uni isnt for me in 12 months down the line and have no apprenticeship to fall back on.
  • Nigella_2
    Nigella_2 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    How about taking up the BT Apprenticeship and look into doing a business course part-time??

The BT chance may not come up for a while and your Uni course may not get the job you want.

BT are looking to roll out 20meg BB so the work is there!!
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    BT train their apprentices block release, they stay at the training centre for 1 week and then go home for a few weeks etc They do BTEC National Certificates and some also do Foundation Degrees in Telecommunications.
    :p
  • mandyc
    mandyc Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Take the apprenticeship. You can always do a degree later in life as a part-time student but you won't be able to do another apprenticeship!!
  • Martha66
    Martha66 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say go for the Apprenticeship. There are a growing number of graduates and a dwindling number of graduate positions (or any jobs for that matter!|). If it doesn't work out or you hate the job, you could always return to university/studies, whether the same course or perhaps something completely different.
    You can also study part-time once established in your career (or perhaps as another poster suggested funded/part-funded by BT), or later as a mature student with work experience under your belt and a renewed enthusiasm for studying.
  • shewhoguards
    Options
    As someone currently on a Higher Apprenticeship on a different firm, I'd say go for it. The amount of money and training big companies pour into these schemes is amazing. You finish with a qualification, experience and, because they've spent a fortune on you, they're unlikely to let you go as they want their money's worth.
  • 1ubthrifty
    1ubthrifty Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say go for the apprenticeship, you don't sound as though you're really enjoying uni. My son has justed started an apprenticeship and although going to work four full days a week has been a shock, he is looking forward to having a trade and earning a good living. Good luck with whatever you decide. x
  • squidge60
    squidge60 Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my oh works for bt and says go for it time you have like you say van ,tools,pension,sickpay,holidays,at some point shares,free broadband!job for life and as an apprentice,the chance of getting into management is high.good luck whatever you decide.
  • LindsayO
    LindsayO Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    Can you finish up this year at uni before you start the apprenticeship? This will make finishing the degree at a later date easier. I too would say go for the apprenticeship
    LindsayO
    Goal: mortgage free asap
    15/10/2007: Mortgage: £110k Term: 17 years
    18/08/2008: Mortgage: £107k Mortgage - Offset savings: £105k
    02/01/2009: Mortgage: £105k Mortgage - Offset savings: £99k

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd do the apprenticeship.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.