savings and housing benefit

Options
My husband and I have 24K savings, my husband is currently ill off work (but hopefully going back in 3 months). We applied for housing and council tax benefit but was refused due to savings.
We have paid taxes all our working lives and feel we should be able to claim something short term.
Is there anything we can do?

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No there is nothing you can do as your savings are higher than the upper capital limit of £16000.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nothing while you have 24k savings in the bank. The threshold is £16k
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jennie09
    jennie09 Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    Options
    no nothing i am afraid, if your savings ever drop under £16.000 you will then become eligible for some housing benefit .
    It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Once the savings are below £16K you may get something, depending on your circumstances. In the meantime you can live off some of your £24K in savings.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Once the savings are below £16K you may get something, depending on your circumstances. In the meantime you can live off some of your £24K in savings.

Rather smug reply :confused:

Worked and saved and get nothing at all where as others who do *"*" All and get 3-400 a week :mad: .

Roll on the revolution and the next Government when benefits are overhauled and not means tested but tested on honesty :rotfl:
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • PolishBigSpender
    Options
    googoomae wrote: »
    My husband and I have 24K savings, my husband is currently ill off work (but hopefully going back in 3 months). We applied for housing and council tax benefit but was refused due to savings.
    We have paid taxes all our working lives and feel we should be able to claim something short term.
    Is there anything we can do?

Ah yes, the classic 'We feel that...', often heard on here.

As others have said, you are expected to use your savings before claiming from the state. It's rather sensible, actually.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not everyone gets £300-£400 per week. Its always been the case that if you have large savings you wont get any benefits

I suspect that if the OP started getting rid of some of it quickly they may still not help as my mother is in same position money from sale of her house due to marriage break up years ago still cant get any benefits
  • Teahfc
    Options
    Ah yes, the classic 'We feel that...', often heard on here.

As others have said, you are expected to use your savings before claiming from the state. It's rather sensible, actually.

Surely those that work and save should be entitled to some sort of assistance ?

We have in the UK as you are no doubt aware, a group of people that work and save, on occasions they request a little help and are shunned and punished for saving and working.While others ( all be it a very tiny minority) have no intention of ever getting out of bed and looking for work and the first to moan if there is no benefits !

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Teahfc
    Options
    Not everyone gets £300-£400 per week. Its always been the case that if you have large savings you wont get any benefits

I suspect that if the OP started getting rid of some of it quickly they may still not help as my mother is in same position money from sale of her house due to marriage break up years ago still cant get any benefits

Totally agree they do not get 3-400 per week in their hand but if you take in HB and CTB then add the weekly benefit I bet there are not many far off £300. I like so many hate how the benefit sytem is run and feel pretty sure this lousy government has no idea how to run it either :confused:

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All governments are the same, havent you learned that yet, and i have never known a time when benefits were not means tested.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport