Complex Situation for Benefit!

Options
Hi All,

I am a contractor with a Ltd Company, (So I am director and also employ myself). 31st March my contract will end. I am due to give Birth on the 21st June. so From the 6th April I can pay myself SMP.

Firstly, for the 3 days, 1st – 3rd April, can I claim any other form of benefit at all?

I have put in a claim for Housing Benefit from the 1st April.
I own a house in Northamptonshire and it is currently tenanted out, minus the mortgage and management fees I am making about £187 per month from it. It has also been valued recently and is in negative equity so I have no money in it.

Also, would I be entitled to any other benefit before the baby is born while I am paying myself SMP? The reason being I really need the help financially, ( I have other debts to pay aswell) and I would like to be able to claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

GD
:rotfl:

Comments

• sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing I know you can claim, from 6/4/09, is the £190 maternity grant.

I would be very surprised if you could claim housing benefit if you own a property you could live in, but have rented out instead. However nothing would surprise with our benefits system.

Are you living alone because other income into your househould will be taken into account? You could probably get help toward your council tax, dental etc due to low income.
  • archie9uk
    archie9uk Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    sarflee wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if you could claim housing benefit if you own a property you could live in, but have rented out instead. However nothing would surprise with our benefits system.

You can still claim. The property would need to be valued and the mortgage taken into account. The difference would be treated as capital. If you are in negative equity, then there would obviously be no capital to take into account. The rental income would be taken into account as well, so you would need to provide proof of rental income and expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure