We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need help, new mum and breastfeeding at work

Options
13»

Comments

• MaximumImpact
    Options
    Hi

Do your company have a first aid room?? That's where most of the mothers tend to use in my company....it's not a big deal for them...

Reason I ask is because, if your company is that big then they should have a treatment room..and these very rarely get used!!
    '' A man who defends himself, has a fool for a client''
  • bettykitten_69
    Options
    if you aren't working at the time why should you get paid?
    as for providing somewhere, don't you have a staffroom or toilets?

Toilets !!!! I wouldnt feed my pets in a toilet let alone express for a baby ewwwwww :eek:
  • dawnm96700
    Options
    Thanks for all you advice.

I asked for different hours and i was only told that all there was available was a wed and fri, so a 16hr week. Tried to do nights but nothing available at the min.

They dont have a locked office and the offices they do have all have glass doors.

Its not so much about not getting paid to be honest as i just want to do whats right for my daughter but i certainly dont feel like i should be cutting down her feeds just because im back at work or the fact that she is on solids.

I phoned my union rep and he says that its sex discrimination and i now have to write a letter of grievence
  • onlyforboards_2
    Options
    You ask for facts and all you get are opinions round here!
  • Krasnoludek
    Krasnoludek Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

They do have to provide you with somewhere to express there is specific legislation about this, they also need to ensure the temperature at work is correct (for you and everyone else) so this does not have a negative effect on your producing. They cannot dock your pay for taking time to express your milk and they do have to provide somewhere, this is law. I was offered the sick bay and the medicine fridge.

I am utterly revolted and outraged by the suggestion that you should perhaps express milk in a toilet, I dont know what planet some people are on sometimes, breastfeeding mums have a tough enough job as it is and they shouldnt be hampered in doing whats best for their babies because employers have p*ss poor facilities, its about time employers adopted good practice if we are to encourage breastfeeding and also congratulated mums who want to juggle feeding and working, they are to be rewarded and praised, not made to feel ostracised.

See info below and best of luck

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancyandbaby/baby/feedbaby/articles/0,,20_178590,00.html

K x
  • poppy38_2
    poppy38_2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    I am a registered midwife. I am also a qualified health & safety officer. I'm quite amazed by some of the comments posted. It would be more helpful for the OP if people got their facts straight before posting. I suggest that the OP consults the HSE website for the most current legislation.

"The Workplace Regulations and Approved Code of Practice require employers to provide suitable facilities for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers to rest.

Where necessary these should include somewhere for the woman to lie down.
    HSE recommends that it is good practice, for employers, to provide a private, healthy and safe environment for nursing mothers to express and store milk (but this is not a legal requirement). It is not suitable to use toilets for this purpose."

I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family