Need help, new mum and breastfeeding at work

Options
When i say im a new mum my baby is 9 months. I am breastfeeding her so im now back at work for 2 days a week, 9-6pm during this time i have to express milk at 11.30 and 2.30 taking up to half an hour each time.

I told HR about the expressing and was told that they cant provide anywhere for me, so its either the public toilets or my car. Also been told that if i have to express then the time that i am away to do this will be unpaid. Is this right?

Tried phoning my union but can never get through. I just feel like im singled out. I said this to them and they said that its the first time they have has a breastfeeding mother in work and they spoke to their legal team who said i dont have any right.

They are really stressing me out and all im trying to do is the best for my daughter

Comments

• jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope this helps.... I did a search as I remember reading something in our work literature sying they back expressing at work. HTH

What if my employer says that I can't express breastmilk at work?

There is no clear right to breastfeed when you are at work. But there is an obligation, under health and safety law, on employers to provide breastfeeding workers with rest facilities. The European Commission has also published guidelines which recommend that employers provide access to a private room, a fridge for storing milk and time off to breastfeed. Unfortunately, these guidelines do not have any legal force to them, but employers who aim for good practice may be keen to adopt them.
  • dobbie82
    dobbie82 Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    Theres a leaflet here, explains what your rights are, they DO have to provide somewhere for you to express (even if it is just a screen in the staffroom)

my son was on solids, and would drink water, I reduced the feeds to just morning and bed time, but obviously thats a very personal choice.

http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/en/materialforclients/downloads/leaflet_4.pdf
  • wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    if you aren't working at the time why should you get paid?
    as for providing somewhere, don't you have a staffroom or toilets?
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• dobbie82
    dobbie82 Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    p.s you can get a mini fridge for about £15 these days, holds two bottles nicely :-)
  • dawnm96700
    dawnm96700 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    if you aren't working at the time why should you get paid?
    as for providing somewhere, don't you have a staffroom or toilets?

We do have a staffroom but its shared with over 200 staff, alot of them men, and i wouldnt feel comfortable. Would you eat your food if its been prepared in a toliet, Guess not!!!!! Public toilets and im not expressing clean milk for my baby from a public loo full of germs.

I was feeding her morning and night but was in hospital last week on a drip and was dehydrated and was advised to up her milk feeds for the time being. She wont take formula or a bottle
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    don't you have a staffroom or toilets?

Would you like your food prepared in the toilets?
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    I presumed it was expressed into a bottle or container rather than into the toilet bowl and scooped out of there? :rolleyes:
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options
    dawnm96700 wrote: »
    When i say im a new mum my baby is 9 months. I am breastfeeding her so im now back at work for 2 days a week, 9-6pm during this time i have to express milk at 11.30 and 2.30 taking up to half an hour each time.

I told HR about the expressing and was told that they cant provide anywhere for me, so its either the public toilets or my car. Also been told that if i have to express then the time that i am away to do this will be unpaid. Is this right?

Tried phoning my union but can never get through. I just feel like im singled out. I said this to them and they said that its the first time they have has a breastfeeding mother in work and they spoke to their legal team who said i dont have any right.

They are really stressing me out and all im trying to do is the best for my daughter
    http://direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_065153
  • oldmotherreilly
    Options
    Just wanted to say well done you for carrying on breastfeeding-expressing milk is hard work and requires a lot of determination! Have a look at this for info on your rights at work whilst breastfeeding http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf
    You need to notify your employer in writing that you are breastfeeding and they have to do a risk assessment. If you go to the hse site, it looks like you can have an online chat with an advisor-see what they have to say.
    Wishiwasarichgirl-it is very hard to be discreet when expressing milk and even if the OP is not worried about doing this in the staffroom, I think you will find that there would be a fair few people who objected. As for expressing milk in the toilet, that would open up all sorts of health and safety issues from the germs that may be picked up from toilet door handles and the like I would imagine.
  • dawnm96700
    dawnm96700 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I presumed it was expressed into a bottle or container rather than into the toilet bowl and scooped out of there? :rolleyes:

Would you eat your food if it came from a box and onto a plate for example, guess not.
    Hygiene standards all different i suppose!!!! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport