Change in my working role

Options
I am currently a receptionist and have been in the job for 2.5 years. I have been asked to look after the work of a collegue who is going on maternity leave who is an administrator.
I have always done lots of admin stuff - but unoffically - just to help out when needed. Now it seems it is more official. I am even being moved away from the reception desk although i will still have to answer the phones.
I work 5 hours a day at the moment and my hours will increase to 7 but it is all on an extra hours basis. That is i will have to put in for over time to be paid for those hours and so I haven't got any sort of new contract.

I have two questions.
Should I be asking for more money? The other recpetionist is not doing this extra/different wrok and her and I are paid the same - less than the admin people.
Am I entitled to extra holidays due to working extra hours? My holidays are currently based on my working 5 hours a day.

if my hours are subsequently cut or i am moved back to repeption i won't have gained anything from this - but they will have saved a lot of money by not having to get a temp

thanks for any thoughts

Comments

• brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    new duties = def new pay / contract!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Liz_the_Whizz
    Options
    hi nzmegs,

I would tell them you are interested in broadening your experience, but only if it is done on a formal basis as temporary maternity leave cover - new pay rate, new hours etc for the period they want you to cover, reverting to your permanent receptionist position when the maternity leaver comes back.

I reckon they are just trying it on as they will still have to recruit someone or get a temp if you don't do it.

If they refuse, it's up to you - take it if it provides a stepping stome to a better job elsewhere or just politely say no if you feel they are just taking advantage of you.

Hope it works out!
    "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the rate for overtime the same as normal rate, or more?
    (sometimes this varies if you are full or part time and if you are part time it ends up just being same rate as normal anyway).
    If rate will be the same then by all means ask about holiday pay etc
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    The rate of pay is the same until I do more than 40 hours a week - which won't happen.
    Today i asked if I would be allowed to stop wearing my uniform to be told that i was still classed as a receptionsit and therefore still have to wear uniform. Even though I will not be in the receptionist area I am still expected to let people in, make them coffee etc so i still have to wear uniform. So that probably answers my question about more pay - it seems unlikely.
    It is starting to feel very unfair to me now.
    I don't really feel like I can say no as I have asked in the past to be given more opportunities - but what exactly am I gaining? I can't even call myself an administrator on my CV.
  • top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    Its so hard to know what to do isn't it?

It seems to me they're taking the p!ss and its a very one-way relationship... I don't know what to suggest but my sympathies are with you.

Jen
  • xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    Options
    If you dont want to do it then politely decline using something along the lines of the extra hrs would not be suitable for your family circumstances. It is perfectly plausable that you would be able to cover occasionally as you have done but a situation where you have to cover the hrs long term would not be plausable without being compensated for any extra monies you would need to lay out. This then gives them the opportunity to offer you a better deal or get a temp in to do the job. It would seem resonable to me that your pay should increase for the period of cover if you are being asked to cover duties that are not in your normal contract long term.
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    excellent solution (hopefully).

One would worry that they will "get back at you" though in another way. How come the other receptionist hasn't been asked to share the workload??

Jen
  • nzmegs
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.
    The other recpetionist isn't exactly up to an admin role. Nor has she ever shown any interest. It is all i have wanted since i started vbut i expected to be offerred the same pay as others get - not just fill in when it suits them for nothing extra!
    In the current climate the chances of getting any extra money out of them is next to nil. But i can't even justify doing the extra hours. it just isn't worth the extra £10 a day.
    I think I will have to point that out and see what they say.

many thanks everyone.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    nzmegs wrote: »
    I........Am I entitled to extra holidays due to working extra hours? My holidays are currently based on my working 5 hours a day.......

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642

Hope this helps!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • nzmegs
    Options
    Thanks for that. I have seen my manager to day and told her I do not want to do the extra hours. She was fine about it. A comment was made that the work will have to be spread between the other admin worker and herself - which was designed to amek me feel guilty. But I feel good about saying what I wanted.
    it will likely mean that in the future i will not even be asked but to be honest i just want to work my usual hours and go home.

mnay thanks for your replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport