IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Euro Car park fine over 90 minutes, been there less than 2 minutes!

Options
My partner had a parking fine from Euro Car Parks, for being parked over 90 minutes in Sainsbury's Bath. She disputed this as she had only been parked for less than 2 minutes.
After two letters stating this, and even getting a letter from her employer stating that she was still at work, parked in the company car park for at least 45 minutes after the alleged time of parking, I have now received a letter from Debt Collection Service.

What can I do as I am the owner, but I wasn't driving, and anyway she hadn't been parked for more than two minutes.

What is anybody's advice?

Comments

• bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martyn63 wrote: »
    My partner had a parking fine from Euro Car Parks, for being parked over 90 minutes in Sainsbury's Bath. She disputed this as she had only been parked for less than 2 minutes.
    After two letters stating this, and even getting a letter from her employer stating that she was still at work, parked in the company car park for at least 45 minutes after the alleged time of parking, I have now received a letter from Debt Collection Service.

What can I do as I am the owner, but I wasn't driving, and anyway she hadn't been parked for more than two minutes.

What is anybody's advice?
    Advice - ignore this ridiculous and unenforceable rubbish.

Your partner hasn't got a fine, private companies can't fine anybody. It's an invoice based on a presumed contract. Since she didn't overstay, no contract was breached.

They would have to issue a court claim to prove the debt in a county court, which would be impossible. And anyway Euro Car Parks don't go near courts. The debt collectors have no powers whatsoever, so tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

Have a read of the other threads regarding private parking, and you'll soon realise what a scam this all is.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport