New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Unemployment tops two million

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
17 replies 355 views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE News EditorMSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
This thread is to discuss the news story:

Replies

• MSE_Guy wrote: »
    This thread is to discuss the news story:

3 by August
    Not Again
  • mitchaamitchaa Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    4.5K posts
    Just a headline figure story.

How about 93.5% employed, 6.5% unemployed,

or

There were 1.65m longterm unemployed in the summer of 2007, there are now 2.03m 18 months later, an increase of 380k as a result of this recession.

Consider how many of the 1.65m were unwilling to work in the 1st place, unemployment figures for those wanting work are not all that bad.

That's about it.

• mitchaa wrote: »
    Just a headline figure story.

How about 93.5% employed, 6.5% unemployed,

or

There were 1.65m longterm unemployed in the summer of 2007, there are now 2.03m 18 months later, an increase of 380k as a result of this recession.

Consider how many of the 1.65m were unwilling to work in the 1st place, unemployment figures for those wanting work are not all that bad.

That's about it.

93.5% unemployed during a recession.... things aren't that bad then.

Spain has 14% unemployment.
  • zedyyzedyy Forumite
    149 posts
    There's more than THAT. They are on schemes like newdeal and other cons to keep them off the statistics book
  • chucky wrote: »

Unemployment is a lagging indicator. I expect it to rise for 2 years after real GDP returns to peak levels based on previous UK recessions.

MSE Guy - Wasn't the existing thread on this topic enough? I'd be interested to know why it was felt necessary to start a duplicate thread other than to publicise an MSE article to forum users.
  • Generali wrote: »
    Unemployment is a lagging indicator. I expect it to rise for 2 years after real GDP returns to peak levels based on previous UK recessions.

yes you're right - it will continue to rise even when we're out of recession.
    it's one of the back-end results of the recession.
  • i8changei8change Forumite
    420 posts
    ✭✭
    Don't know the figures but there are a growing number of families who in theory have a job, but could never live off it and are reliant on so called "Tax Credits."
    They get in a hell of a state if for any reason the credits stop, I see the letters. I don't think the number of independant working people is as large as people think.
  • 140K unemployed in a month….. I thought that does not sound too bad... Until I read that’s the equivalent to the Army and the RAF being laid off... Wow that is a lot.
  • tomterm8tomterm8 Forumite
    5.9K posts
    chucky wrote: »

Does anyone seriously trust the unemployment figures? The government massages them so much, they are about as reliable and Enron's final accounts.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • CleaverCleaver Forumite
    7K posts
    3 by August

I can't see 1,999,997 people all somehow finding employment and no other additional people losing their jobs by August.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support