IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bristow & Sutor - please help!

Options
Hi guys, sorry I havent been able to find a thread which answers this and I hope somebody can help.
My ex got a parking fine a while back (even though he had a ticket!!)
Being a div he did nothing about this and now the bailiffs (Bristow & Sutor) have been round to the house where he rents a room from his best mate. He has just been on the phone to B&S who have escalated the fine from £60 to £270! He cannot afford to pay until the end of the month but they are saying that they are going to turn up at the house every two days until he pays - costing £130 each time.
This seems ludicrous to me - I am so angry with him for letting things get to this stage but would like to be able to advise him of what to do - if he is skint I may not get maintenance and its our son's birthday next week and I am relying on a contribution! And I hate to let the b******s win!!
Many thanks in advance
xxx

Comments

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing you can do about the debt but the bailiff's threats are outrageous.
    mention that to the Council and get advice on it from 'bailiffadviceonline'. - quickly!
  • fav77
    fav77 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much - I will pass it on to him straight away
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't people sort the issue when it is £60 ?

The price will go up the longer it is left unresolved, which has a negative impact on others such as your son. The bailiffs aren't at fault here.
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    The bailiffs aren't at fault here.

The threat to deliberately visit excessively and repeatedly in order to gain financial advantage is legal and reasonable is it? Get real!
  • fav77
    fav77 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    nomoneytoday, I completely agree that this should have been sorted out at the start which is why I am so annoyed about the whole situation.
    However I do think that the baillifs should not treat the situation as a license to print money - what's to stop them adding hundreds or thousands to any debt if they can get away with this sort of behaviour? He has called and offered to pay on payday (31st) but they say that they will add another £900 quid in charges in just two weeks - and they are acting on behalf of the council - its outrageous!
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't people sort the issue when it is £60 ?

The price will go up the longer it is left unresolved, which has a negative impact on others such as your son. The bailiffs aren't at fault here.

You're right. It isn't anything the bailiffs are doing wrong.
    Damn those magic "harassing calls" pixies and those "illegal fees" fairies.

I forget the fees scale for this stuff but isn't it something like charging for 3 visits max at 30% or so, of fine plus court costs,per visit?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're right. It isn't anything the bailiffs are doing wrong.
    Damn those magic "harassing calls" pixies and those "illegal fees" fairies.
    You've used that magic word, Roberto... Harassing.

Surely, threatening to visit every other day, or visiting every other day, is harassment?
    Aren't the police interested in crimes of harassment?
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    You've used that magic word, Roberto... Harassing.

Surely, threatening to visit every other day, or visiting every other day, is harassment?
    Aren't the police interested in crimes of harassment?

Good luck with getting the police interested in this sort of case.
    A phone call to the court that issued the order the bailiffs are acting under might prove interesting. The CAB are probably in a good position to find out what the current permissible fees are.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • Herbie21
    Herbie21 Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    If he did not receive the Notice to Owner then he can apply for an Out of Time late Statutory Declaration. This will FREEZE all action.

He needs to call the Traffic Enforcement Centre on 08457 045 007 as they will provide the forms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport