Tinnitus

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
52 replies 4K views

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have suffered from tinitus for about 40/50 years and I think the best way of describing the sound "I" hear, is similar to the high pitched whistling you get from those electricity sub-stations. Even as I write this, I can hear the high pitched noise over the sound of the droan of the computer.
  • -TangleFoot--TangleFoot- Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds about right. I always thought it sounded like those fluorescent light-tubes though; sub stations seem lower-pitched to me.
  • dbsdbs Forumite
    479 Posts
    ✭✭
    If I buy an CD radio clock alarm and leave the radio off channel all night or play relaxing music will the alarm still work to wake me up in the morning for work?
    Not sure to buy the above or portable CD radio or a noise generator because I need a good nights sleep.

Also do they tend to have a 3.5mm mono jack plug socket so I could buy a speaker pillow.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbs wrote:
    If I buy an CD radio clock alarm and leave the radio off channel all night or play relaxing music will the alarm still work to wake me up in the morning for work?
    I can't see why not. Our radio alarm clock has the choice of either radio coming on or alarm going off to wake us up, so as long as yours has this facility it should work - shouldn't it? Have to say ours is quite old now, and has an integral phone, so ASK in the shop and look at the instructions if you're in any doubt.
    dbs wrote:
    Not sure to buy the above or portable CD radio or a noise generator because I need a good nights sleep.
    Do you have a cheap radio you can experiment with first? The pillow speakers aren't expensive, IMO, at least not from Maplins, and I think they're wonderful! I don't know how much noise generators are, but can't help thinking that if a cheap radio does the job, it's going to be cheaper? But then I do have radios all around the house!
    dbs wrote:
    Also do they tend to have a 3.5mm mono jack plug socket so I could buy a speaker pillow.
    I think most of these things do these days, because of the expectation that "s/he shall have music wherever s/he goes" but it's something to check at the time of purchase!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had tinnitus for years and years, from a combination of blocked sinuses and exposure to excessive noise levels (out of choice). I don't notice it except when in the quiet. I'm used to it now and I just add it to the list of things that happen to you as you get older. Like worsening eye sight. However, it hasn't stopped me having fun or enjoying life.

I use ear plugs nowadays if going out to clubs etc.
    Happy chappy
  • dbsdbs Forumite
    479 Posts
    ✭✭
    Went to my local Curry`s but unfortunately they have got no CD,radio clock alarms for sale at the moment, so could not get any answers to my questions.

Went to a larger Curry`s but they only had a top of the range model priced £70.

I really would like to play relaxation music on the CD because it is not the tinnitus that keeps me awake but my busy mind a habit I have started doing so I can ignore the tinnitus which works great until I go to bed then I a cant switch off and relax to go to sleep.

I have tried a radio off staion but it does not help me to relax.

Next plan is to go into my local Argos and try and get some answers when they are not busy because they have a good selection.
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A personal CD player and a pillow speaker works for me when my mind's doing overtime at bedtime! Can be heavy on batteries, but I think I could get a mains adapter if I wanted.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • dbsdbs Forumite
    479 Posts
    ✭✭
    Savvy_Sue wrote:
    A personal CD player and a pillow speaker works for me when my mind's doing overtime at bedtime! Can be heavy on batteries, but I think I could get a mains adapter if I wanted.

Good idea got a personal CD player and plenty of rechargeable batteries going to order a pillow speaker what music do you find best to help you sleep?
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re the earlier post about ear plugs, I defintely made things a lot worse by reusing ear plugs at a factory where I worked 10 years ago. Even the act of using ear plugs is bad I believe, since it pushes any wax deeper into the ears.

In general though, my tinnitus is pretty low level - I only notice it when there's no background noise and it doesn't stop me sleeping etc.
    Happy chappy
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbs wrote:
    Good idea got a personal CD player and plenty of rechargeable batteries going to order a pillow speaker what music do you find best to help you sleep?
    I use a 'Relax and Sleep' CD from Meditainment, got it from Amazon after seeing it on a shop shelf. It's brilliant - I've very rarely heard the Sleep track all the way through!
    Still knitting!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals