Cavity wall insulation in a first floor maisonette

Options
I'm an owner occupier, it's purpose built in a block of four, (constructed in 1959)two up two down. You see them all over the place, I'm on the first floor.

The only maisonette that has it is my neighbours below. He had it done many moons ago, I think it was blown fibre or beads. The occupier on the ground floor adjacent to my neighbour below is making enquiries about having it installed and has asked me if I'm interested in joining in and perhaps we can obtain a discount. I'm game but have some concerns as follows:-

1) I'm thinking that because my neighbour below had his done such a long time ago it's probably sunk down quite a bit and if I have mine done much of the fill will end up in his part of the wall and some of it will fall into the cavity of the maisonette next door to mine on the first floor? This neighbours maisonette obviously does n't have it and is not interested in joining in and having it installed with us.

2) I'm also concerned about compatibility of the fill with that of the fill that is already installed in my neighbours below.

3) I intend to have double glazing , a UPVC residential door and a patio or french doors installed (I have a balcony) at some date in the future and I'm concerned that I may lose some of the fill when this work is done?

Any advice on my concerns and/or a recomendation as to the type of insulation I should consider or any other relevant info would be appreciated.

Thanks happy.gif

{Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}

Comments

• 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    If you use the expanding foam stuff it tends to only spread a fixed distance from the application hole. So, while some might get into your neighbours cavity, it would not be much. I cannot comment on compatibility, but the installer would probably know. As to the question of the replacement doors and windows, if you use beads or other loose material then I suppose that it is likely that there would be some loss of fill. If you have the expanding foam then it would be monolithic and presumably there would be no loss when the cavity is opened. In any event, I imagine that the installer will have come across this problem before and developed a strategy for dealing with it.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • GTG
    GTG Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    27col wrote: »
    If you use the expanding foam stuff it tends to only spread a fixed distance from the application hole. So, while some might get into your neighbours cavity, it would not be much. I cannot comment on compatibility, but the installer would probably know. As to the question of the replacement doors and windows, if you use beads or other loose material then I suppose that it is likely that there would be some loss of fill. If you have the expanding foam then it would be monolithic and presumably there would be no loss when the cavity is opened. In any event, I imagine that the installer will have come across this problem before and developed a strategy for dealing with it.

Thanks for the helpful supply 27col, it's sounds like the foam option is what I need. I asked here rather than the local supply to avoid getting a sales orientated answer.

ATB

{Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}

• djwbrighton
    djwbrighton Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Im trying to get my small block of 24 flats cavity wall insulated, does anyone else know how its done? my managing agents wont help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure