Nissan X-trail (Renault?)

Options
Hi all

We have just ordered the new X-trail 2.2 dci. Please, no comments about whether this is a good buy or not! :naughty:

However, have I just been duped and bought a car with a Renault engine? :confused:

Cheers.

SVM

Comments

• jjames_3
    jjames_3 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    The Nissan 2.2dCi is a variant of the Renault engine, but with a cam-chain instead of a belt and a number of other changes.

While it doesn't suffer from as many turbo failures as the Renault, there have been a fair few cases of it.
  • todderz
    todderz Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I bought a 350Z and that has a Renault engine. The engine is great. Just a shame that the rest of the car is a godawful piece of unreliable expensive junk and Nissan's approach to customer service and honouring warranties has, in my experience, been utterly disgusting. Buying a Nissan has, for me, turned out to be an extremely expensive nightmare. Still waiting to get my 18month old car back from the dealer after 4 weeks and thousands of pounds.........

Hope you have better luck!
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whatever happened to Nissan? BAck in the 80s and 90s, they were a manufacturer people swore by. Safe, reliable and sensible. Now though, people seem to swear at them!!!
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • jjames_3
    Options
    balsingh wrote:
    Whatever happened to Nissan? BAck in the 80s and 90s, they were a manufacturer people swore by. Safe, reliable and sensible. Now though, people seem to swear at them!!!

Bought by bloody Ren-no that's what.

They're still better than most Euroboxes though it must be said.
  • mr_accountant
    Options
    jjames wrote:
    Bought by bloody Ren-no that's what.

They're still better than most Euroboxes though it must be said.

Rather than Nissan having an impact on Renault, it seems Renault have had their usual negative impact, this time on Nissan.

I remember my dad owing a bluebird, gosh was that dull, but gosh it was reliable (most important thing on a car.. to me anyhow)

Poor customer service?...well they would have got that from Renault, and weeded out all the good call center staff Nissan previously hired.
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SVM wrote:
    Latest update:

Nissan has told me the only Renault engines (diesel) they use is on the Micra models. X-trail diesel engines are purely Nissan's handy work.

Now I'm confused! :rolleyes:
    Take that as a good sign. The more Nissan and less Renault it is, the better!
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • nej
    nej Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Options
    I've heard good things about the 2.2 diesel in the Nissan, so I'm sure you'll be fine!
  • jjames_3
    Options
    SVM wrote:
    Latest update:

Nissan has told me the only Renault engines (diesel) they use is on the Micra models. X-trail diesel engines are purely Nissan's handy work.

It's not true though.

dCi is a Renault trademark. The Nissan engines *are* essentially Renault.

Ironically though, the problem areas on the dCi are the EGR valves (made by Mitsubishi) and the turbos, which again are not manufactured by Renault.

Having said that both of these items are well proven in other engine designs so the fault must lie with bad design at Renault's end.
  • the_gasman_2
    Options
    SVM wrote:
    Latest update:

When you pick it up ask them about the product recall on the diesel engine ECU... Loss of power and black smoke from exhaust. My father in law bought a 2.2 dci sve xtrail 9months ago(brand new) and had a recall notice on it. He liked the car when he bought it and it looks tidy with all extras, but he now regrets it.
    The problem has now been sorted or so he is led to believe. Only time will tell. I do hope yours is ok though... :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure