anyone else got carpel tunnel syndrome

Options
just got back from hospital and been diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome, anyone had the operation done? did it work.
just after other peoples views not advice

Comments

• sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    I guess since you're discussing the operation you are not pregnant.
    I've had it with each pregnancy, & it's not nice, but has gone either before or just after the baby arrived.
    In the meantime splints, exercises & alternating hot & cold water helped to relieve the symptoms.
  • evermore
    evermore Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for reply
    no not pregnant, its just i was not offered advice on what do do or any alterative choice, not looking forward to having both done
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    How bad is it that the operation is the first thing they suggest
    I was offered physio each time, even after I'd had the baby. I guess it's different as it's not a pregnancy causing the problem for you.
    Even if you did have the operation it would not be instant, with waiting lists etc. Go back to your GP & ask about a referral to physio, atleast whilst you consider or wait for an operation appointment.
  • NoAngel
    NoAngel Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Evermore.

I had carpal tunnel syndrome a couple of years ago. I was quite young to have it, only 19 at the time. It was very annoying, I had terrible pain and couldn't sleep because of the pins and needles not to mention that typing Uni assignments was difficult! I was offered the operation within 5 weeks of diagnosis and there was no question that I needed it doing. Had my right hand done first, then my left hand 2 weeks later.

The operation itself was fine- took about 20 mins, and was just a local anaesthetic, so I was home a couple of hours later. It was painful for a couple of days, but after that it wasn't too bad. Had the bandage off after 10 days, and the 5 stitches removed., then a few days later the other op. I would never recomment getting both hands done together as you would find it very difficult to cope.

The operations were successful and the pain went immediately. Couldn't reccommend it more! I found out that the surgery is the only proper way to fully eliminate the problem. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
  • evermore
    Options
    got at least 3 months to wait for it, but symptoms are quite painful. probably will have it done just not looking forward to it (terrified of needles) dont fancy being unable to do anything for 10 days,
  • dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the operation two years ago and so far have had no more problems
    i would reccommend the opertion .

SPC no:076
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I got it but it was linked to my underactive thyroid and when the medication was at the correct level it eased off. At times I couldn't drive, hold a pen and had to use a chunky electric toothbrush as I couldn't grip anything. I was referred to the hospital but by the time the appointment came through it was starting to ease off a bit. I suppose the ultimate money saving tip is to wait and see but it is a nightmare to live with.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Glamazon
    Glamazon Posts: 8,401 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Have you had nerve conduction studies to confirm it?

I get it every now and then but never bad enough for surgery, I wear a splint when it's really bad but otherwise just hand my arm out of the bed with wrist bent (palm up). Relieves it quite a bit.
    A very busy Yummy Mummy to a 1 year old gorgeous boy :smileyhea

Where does the time go? :think:
  • evermore
    Options
    no havent had the test, thinking the best way forward is to have the operation because i have the pain and pins and needles nearly all the time and also hands go numb.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had it for years without realising I had it!!!!! In the end the pain in my arm was really interfering with everything I did. I put it down to an old whiplash injury not c.t.
    Finally I had a growth on a tendon in that wrist that had to be removed, when I saw the hand surgeon and we discussed all the pain in my arm, pins and needles etc he said he would do a c.t. decompression when he removed the growth...Well, if only I had known. It took a couple of weeks to get over the soreness but all the old symptoms vanished straight away.
    No way would I wait if I needed it done on the other wrist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure