PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deposit Help!

Options
I am about to move out of a 2 bed property and have received a letter from the estate agent detailing information about the check out process

It says that if you have changed utilities supplier you must revert back to the original failure to do so will result in a £200 deduction from the deposit

We changed supplier as scottish power was way cheaper on a economy 7 tarrif.

I have rang eon and asked them and they have said its up to the new tennant if they want to reconnect with them. So we have no way of reverting back to the original supplier.

Is there any way to dispute this deduction or is that £200 gone

Comments

• Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    I can't help on this matter I'm afraid, but just want to say I think charging you £200 for a supplier, when you have one going to the property who is cheaper and therefore beneficial to the next tenant is outrageous! I wish you luck OP and hope you find a way to overturn this.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    I think this has to be the most insane term I've seen.
    They can when you leave change it. But to make you change back is just crazy.

Ring shelter and see what advice they have. They should give you the write phrases to send them in a letter.

As long as you take final readings (take pics) of the meters and pay the bills then it shouldn't matter.
  • RetroBob
    RetroBob Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Dont tell em you're moving out and that you just want to change back.
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    As a LL I couldn't care less who my tenant's utilties are with, they can change them as they like and as a tenant you do have a right to change them, but you should notify the LL of the change. I admit to having a strong dislike for pre payment meters and will discourage a change from standard to prepayment but there is nothing I can do if the tenant decides to ignore me.

A landlord can write whatever they like into the tenancy but it doesn't mean it's lawful. Frankly, I agree with Poppy, it's ridiculous. I would challenge this with your landlord and I am quite sure it would be an unfair term. Definitely speak to Shelter or the CAB and challenge your landlord on this.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like an unfair item, so ignorable as unlawful.

I think the main issue would be that the agent/LL know who is the provider just so they know.
  • orangeslimes
    Options
    I think it is possibly just one of those standard clauses that they have in all agreements - one that doesn't actually mean anything unless your landlord is bothered and there prob isnt much reason for them to be. I would just make sure you get copies of your last bills and readings-and if they do take off money for it argue your point subsequently. (i suppose the reason might be if there is a period where the bills become the responsibilty of the landlord and the supplier has changed it means the terms and conditions for them have changed and there might in some cases be reasons why the owner of the house might not like that)
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Wot a Chiz :eek:
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • GoldenGirl25
    Options
    Hey everyone thanks for the reply this is a really active forum :D

I will give shelter a call tomorrow morning.

I wont know if they will deduct the £200 until I get written notice within 10 days after we move out.

I have spoke to eon and arranged that our final bill will be sent to my parents address.

We have put on a notice board in our building that we want readings to be taken on Friday the day before we move out.

I was hoping to buy a laptop with my deposit back
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    is your deposit in a Scheme ?
  • Lemoncurd
    Lemoncurd Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was a similar clause in one of our agreements, I asked the letting agent if we could switch and they just said "Fine, as long as you tell us which company you switch to". Perhaps if you let them know they would waive it? ours claimed it made it really difficult to finalise everything at the end of the tenancy if they didn't know the suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure