PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can tenants lie that they have a job??

Options

Comments

• 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    Planner wrote: »
    No, as the usual checks are references and a credit check. References could lie and credit checks dont list employment history.

I dont think there is any problem with asking for wage slips.

I have 250 blank wage slips upstairs (£15 circa from Staples high street shop). SAGE payroll on a PC (free from accountant).

If anyone wants 6 months worth of wage slips to supply a landlord with I am sure there are ways to get them.

ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE LIARS & FRAUDSTERS.

In fact bank statements would be hard to do either!
    Not Again
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Cheekykid, firstly, don't think you have to accept the first offer you get.
    Secondly, if you have a bad feeling act on it and get as much information as you can.

I am having viewings at the moment for a property of mine. I make it quite clear when people visit, that I am not making a decision until the advert period is over, (and even then, if I do not feel that any are right I will advertise again)

I have been fortunate in having lots of interest and many people to choose from so far, including one last night who viewed in about 15 minutes, and then rang again this morning to say she wanted it and was giving a months notice to her present LL!!

I told her that I had not decided yet, as still have more viewings for the next week, plus I know she is not right for the property I am letting, so will be ringing her this evening. You have to be a bit tough I'm afraid, and think with your head and not your heart, as to get a wrong tenant could be a nightmare.

If you go on to somewhere like Landlord Zone, you can download a lot of things for free, including a tenants application form. This is what you give out to people you consider to be suitable for your property. They have to give a lot of details and references so that you can have it professionally checked, and there is no obligation to accept them even once this first stage has been done.

All of this initial groundwork is very important, so read up on it, take your time and don't be pushed into doing anything too hastily, as the thought of letting quickly and getting money can cloud judgement for what could be 6 months or longer of hell.

Good luck OP.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    I don't seem to understand why some people claim landlord is wrong to see and assess a tenant's bank statement before handing over the keys of his property.
    Yes, landlrod might be a stranger, so also is the bank staff who request same before they grant you credit etc.
    Landlord might have insurance so also does the bank but yet the bank still request for heaven and earth b4 granting loans to stanger.
    The landlord's house is most likely his/her biggest asset. What wrong does he do by reasonably trying to protect it.
    In my opinion,only a tenant that has something to hide would refus to co-operate. So far, none of my tenants have raised an eyebrow when i ask for all these. Infact some are happy to provide surplus.
  • Geenie
    Options
    naijapower wrote: »
    I don't seem to understand why some people claim landlord is wrong to see and assess a tenant's bank statement before handing over the keys of his property.
    Yes, landlrod might be a stranger, so also is the bank staff who request same before they grant you credit etc.
    Landlord might have insurance so also does the bank but yet the bank still request for heaven and earth b4 granting loans to stanger.
    The landlord's house is most likely his/her biggest asset. What wrong does he do by reasonably trying to protect it.
    In my opinion,only a tenant that has something to hide would refus to co-operate. So far, none of my tenants have raised an eyebrow when i ask for all these. Infact some are happy to provide surplus.

It isn't strange where I come from. I will want to see bank statements and wage slips as that is what all of the LA's do now. Plus you wouldn't get a mortgage without having to offer the same, so why should it be any different for having access to a property worth thousands of pounds!

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks. This is the point i made but some people seem to think it is out of order for landlord to request for all this. In the first instance landlord had to provide same b4 he got the keys of the property i.e. supporting docs for mortgage app. So, why cant tenant provide same b4 getting keys to landlord's treasure?
  • dobbie82
    dobbie82 Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    A Landlady of a house I tried for asked for a bank reference rather than bank statements (which I would not have been happy showing) Just to confirm that I had a regular income and was living within my means.

But there is nothing stopping someone who has been given notice they are losing their job to take on a tenancy cos they will pass credit checks, bank references etc, then go on the DSS. I assume you can't evict someone for being a benefit claimant.
  • Geenie
    Options
    dobbie82 wrote: »
    A Landlady of a house I tried for asked for a bank reference rather than bank statements (which I would not have been happy showing) Just to confirm that I had a regular income and was living within my means.

But there is nothing stopping someone who has been given notice they are losing their job to take on a tenancy cos they will pass credit checks, bank references etc, then go on the DSS. I assume you can't evict someone for being a benefit claimant.

You can't evict someone for being a benefit claimant, but you would check they are in employment before taking them on and check with said employers. Remember that the tenant signs a contract. If they lie about their circumstances, then that will come up in any court case to evict.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem with a tenant who was previously working, but through circumstances became unemployed and was claiming, so long as they paid their rent and looked after the place. But they would have to have a history with me of doing so before taking on.

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have 250 blank wage slips upstairs (£15 circa from Staples high street shop). SAGE payroll on a PC (free from accountant).

If anyone wants 6 months worth of wage slips to supply a landlord with I am sure there are ways to get them.

ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE LIARS & FRAUDSTERS.

In fact bank statements would be hard to do either!

you can actually buy 6 computer generated Sage payslips completed with whatever details you want for £12 on Ebay.

Definitely a good way to ascertain a persons worthiness..................or perhaps not ;)
    ====
  • vikki400
    vikki400 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I manage my own rental property and do the credit check and reference through an company who provide insurance as long as the tenent passes the check. This insurance covers the rent and any fees for eviction. Having said that; one of the biggest checks you can do is whether you trust the person when you meet them. I go a lot by how I feel when I meet them. It is not just the money you are covering, but the stress too. You need to be sure they will keep the house in a good state of repair (a deposit will only cover so much) and you also have to believe that they are willing to pay the rent, not just whether they can. Confirmation of employment will not tell you whether they are honest people.
  • Geenie
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    you can actually buy 6 computer generated Sage payslips completed with whatever details you want for £12 on Ebay.

Definitely a good way to ascertain a persons worthiness..................or perhaps not ;)

This may be true, but your LL could also be lying about their financial status and the home you pay rent on about to be repossessed!!! It has to work both ways surely, or is it one rule for one and not the other!!!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure