PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ex partners debts

Options
Hi, not sure if I've posted this in the right place but I could do with some advice that it to do with the property I own, and used to own with my ex partner.

Long story short is that I moved out a couple of years ago but stayed on the mortgage. In that time, she ran up £3000 arrears. She tried selling the property via William H Brown but it wouldn't sell and then rented it - illegally without the consent of northern rock.

She now is intending to go bankrupt so the top and bottom of it is that me and my current partner have taken the property on - northern rocks conditions being that they would transfer it into our names if we (a) got the tennants out and (b) paid the arrears. We have done that and are now happily living in the property. Job done, so we thought. (for the record, I took no pleasure in asking the tennants to move out, but they were very understanding and brilliant in all of this).

However now, I've had a bill from William H Brown for £343.85 for the HIP pack that my ex partner requested when she put the house on the market. Although it was still in joint names, I had absoluetely no involvement in the selling/letting process and at one point it looked like it was going to sell for a profit and I said I was happy for my ex to have all the proceeds - I just wanted to wash my hands of it.

Now we have this bill for £343.85 and I don't have the money. The pot is empty and I don't really have much of a lifestyle anymore. We get by alright but have very few, if no luxuries. My ex has obviously said she has no money to contribute towards this bill and William H Brown have said I am liable.... again, as expected. They have said they will work out a plan for me to pay in installments but the top and bottom of it is that I don't want to.

I know my ex has two holidays lined up this year (which apparently she hasn't contributed towards) and I can't afford to go away as I am. If I had £343.85, maybe I would go on holiday. I'm sick of paying for her lifestyle and I wonder if anyone can help as to whether I have any ground for negotiation, or what the consequences would be if I just didn't pay.

Sorry for the long post and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who signed the contract/agreement for William Brown to let the property? Did you?
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Worzel1889
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Who signed the contract/agreement for William Brown to let the property? Did you?

Yes, unfortunately, everything that was signed had to have both our signitures on. I didnt know the account was in arrears and was told that northern rock had granted permission to let it and naively just went along with it.

My only slight arguement would be that as I wasn't involved in the process of putting the house on the market, I didn't request a HIP pack so why should I have to pay for it. I do understand though that William H Brown see it as my ex partner requested it on both our behalves, but that's not really the case.

I should also add that I have personally paid the solicitors fees of £130 that she left outstanding and also footed the invoices for the a boiler callout while the tennants were in (£85) and the gas certificate (£65). All in it's been about £3500 already (and endless sleepless nights etc to boot!!).

Don't get me wrong, me and my partner love our new home, but I've got to the point where I just feel enough is enough, in regards to me having to pay out for things while my ex still enjoys a nice lifetsyle and hides behind her inpending banckrupty.
  • Maybeanotherday
    Options
    Im sorry to say alot of this kind of thing happened to me when I left my daughters father...I still have debts chasing me now. If you where considered as a couple and jointly ran things then bills like this will keep cropping up Im afraid! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
    At least your only paying £300+ in debts off from her now.... Im still £2000+ plus a little one to pay for lol

As for your ex...how do you know she's declaring bankrupt? I'm guessing from your post you still have contact with her? I'd wash your hand of her and cut all contact if I where you (easier said than done I know) but it's easier than getting your nose rubbed in what she's doing while your cleaning up her mess....trust me thats from experience!

Hope it all works out well for you in the end!
  • Worzel1889
    Options
    skellett wrote: »
    Im sorry to say alot of this kind of thing happened to me when I left my daughters father...I still have debts chasing me now. If you where considered as a couple and jointly ran things then bills like this will keep cropping up Im afraid! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
    At least your only paying £300+ in debts off from her now.... Im still £2000+ plus a little one to pay for lol

As for your ex...how do you know she's declaring bankrupt? I'm guessing from your post you still have contact with her? I'd wash your hand of her and cut all contact if I where you (easier said than done I know) but it's easier than getting your nose rubbed in what she's doing while your cleaning up her mess....trust me thats from experience!

Hope it all works out well for you in the end!

Thanks. I kind of expected this to be the case. Was just wondering if I had any ground to say 'enough is enough' and just stop paying for things. They're as much her debt as they are mine (more-so, i'd like to argue, although I know the eyes of the law don't neccasserily see it that way) but everytime a bill comes in, she knows she can hide behind her bancrupty and leave me as liable.

Yes, I still have to have regular contact with her as we have a daughter which is why I know about her having holidays arranged and what sort of lifestyle she enjoys.

Good luck to you too by the way.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    So she's off the mortgage now?

I'd try to negotiate on paying over a couple of months for this bill.
  • Worzel1889
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    So she's off the mortgage now?

I'd try to negotiate on paying over a couple of months for this bill.

Yeah she's off the mortgage.

William H Brown have said they will sort a payment plan out. Was just wondering if I had any grounds to get out of paying it, or make my ex liable for half at least.

I guess from advice on here it looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it on. And I kind of expected that anyway, it's just so frustrating.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would ask WHB for a copy of the contract/terms & conditions. Whilst agree that technically you were "jointly and severally liable" it's difficult to see how you can be liable for something you didn't agree to.

Get the T&Cs and see what they say - preferably, get the T&Cs that your ex signed.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah you can try. but if she's the sort of slippery soul who has you bail her out opf the house, someone to buy her expensive holidays and is going bankrupt then you can try and add this little debt to her life. But this company will also know you've got more chance of paying than she has.

Just separate all ties with her from now on.
    Learn from your lesson.
    And then get on with enjoying your life. :)
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    The thing with joint and several liability is that either of you can be sued for the whole amount by the other person and you may have a right (depending on what, if anything, was agreed between you) to sue her for her half share.

If you both agreed to sell the house a HIP would have been needed. The figure involved is actually not unreasonable. I have heard stories of agents charging a lot more than that for a HIP.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Maybeanotherday
    Options
    Worzel1889 wrote: »
    Thanks. I kind of expected this to be the case. Was just wondering if I had any ground to say 'enough is enough' and just stop paying for things. They're as much her debt as they are mine (more-so, i'd like to argue, although I know the eyes of the law don't neccasserily see it that way) but everytime a bill comes in, she knows she can hide behind her bancrupty and leave me as liable.

Yes, I still have to have regular contact with her as we have a daughter which is why I know about her having holidays arranged and what sort of lifestyle she enjoys.

Good luck to you too by the way.

It's hard work with kids isn't it! I used to get wound up with my ex as he'd say he couldn't afford to pay debts etc etc but then go out every night turn up in new clothes and bought a new car while I was struggling with the crap he's left lol
    It does get easier with time though :)
    Just make sure you've changed EVERYTHING over now...and give your new partner time to express her feelings cause Im sure this is doing her head in too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure