Airmiles - any best value idas?

Options
Has anyone actually managed to get anything worthwhile off Airmiles, ever? Over the years I've ended up with nearly 6,000, but I think that's only because I've never managed to find anything worthwhile. Of course I tried to book a flight once, but allocation gone, etc. and when I looked at days out I was better off using my Tesco points.

Airmiles will give you £6 off their holidays for every 100 points, but that seems poor value when 100 points will cost you £10 of Shell PlusPoints (so they're making a 66.67% profit on me there!).

Even the Tesco '4 times the value' ClubCard points only give you 240 miles for £10 of vouchers which admittedly is worth £14.40 in discount (so not exactly 4 times as much).

Sorry if this is an old rant, I just needed to get it off my chest and really would be interested in any suggestions of a good use for them, since they can't be trasnferred to any other schemes. I know it's theoretically 'free' (though I think of it as the discount I wasn't offered by the store)

Comments

• melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i'd be interested in this too - i don't have that many airmiles, but to me it looked like hotels were the best way to spend them....
    i did have enough to get an internal UK flight 'free' but the taxes came to more than the total price booking through an airline direct!!
    :happyhear
  • Neil_Taylor
    Options
    I've managed three or four Manchester to Milan, one Man to Madrid, and one Birmingham to Barcelona flights on BA with Airmiles, but it's increasingly difficult to get you're preferred dates, as other sites' forums are telling.

Fees and taxes should be the same for the equivalent flights , maybe I'm Naive.

Will still be trying Milan or Venice later in the year and I'll tell you how I got on.
    Neil
  • Discodave
    Options
    can you actaully "give" someone your own personal airmiles?..

we have some but not enough for flights to OZ in sept. priced flights @ £1500 for 2 Adults and 1 child under 2yr for returns in Sept/Oct
  • PhilTh_2
    Options
    Pretty certain you can't give them away, can prob use them towards your Oz flights though watch out for the 100 = £6 discount
  • psb
    psb Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you can't give your airmiles away you can only have them converted into your own name if your partner dies and they were previously in their name. You can use them as part payment for flights and holidays though. I've used mine for both flights and hotel part payment.
    :EasterBunpsb
  • lily_the_pink
    lily_the_pink Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    I used for 3 London Eye trips - I think these are 120 miles. Considering the paltry number of miles I had, it was the only thing that looked appealing. I think I have enough left for a couple more trips which I will do next time a relative or friend is visiting london.
  • RightRevBod
    RightRevBod Posts: 598 Forumite
    Options
    Used about half of my accumulated airmiles last year for 4 Legoland passes. As soon as we had got through the gates, we converted these to season passes. May do the same this year, of may use them for a London Eye trip.
    [size=-2] If this post was unhelpful, please tell me.
    If it was helpful, please tell everyone - Press the [highlight]Thanks[/highlight] button!
    [/size]
  • Weymouth_Man
    Weymouth_Man Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    What about 12 Bottles of either Red or White wine for 950 Airmiles. ;)
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • cslogg
    cslogg Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    Last week I booked two returns to Paris on Eurostar.Did not have enough to go first class though :-(
    This was the first time I have used them.

cslogg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport