How do gas tarrifs work?please help!

Options
We moved in our new house in aug 07 just been looking at my gas bills,got one from 13 sept 07-27nov 07 which i used 96 units of gas ,
27 nov-07- 6 july 08 which i used 441 units of gas
then on the 6 july 08 british gas came an changed my metre still quarterly
07 july -13 dec 08 i used 813 units of gas
14 dec -10 march 09 i used 863 units of gas
the units of gas i am using as you can see have increased in dec o8 i had a new energy efficent boiler fitted and cavity wall and loft insulation done why am i using more units i only have gas c/h combi and a gas hob me and my husband are at work all day we have 2 kids at school and dont have any rads on in the bedrooms ever can any one explain please!

Comments

• jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 12,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You must of went from a old imperial gas meter to a metric version. Your old meter measured gas usage in ft, your new one on metres. Check your old bill to make sure. You need to check how many kWhs you have used when comparing bills, not your units.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Welcome ewalsh...your new meter will be metric (x 11 to get kwh's), and your old meter would have been cubic feet (x31 for kwh's).

Most energy is used in the early morning and in the evening anyway. Gas hobs are good for when the electric goes, still then can put the kettle on and some warmth in the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure