advice for son on benefits

Options
hi im not sure if you can help my 19 year old son is on jsa but at the weekend he fractured his hand and its in a splint for 6 weeks does he have to change to a sickness benefit if not fit for work? thanks in advance

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, he will have to sign on to ESA, their number is 0800 055 66 88.

He should have his National Insurance number to hand when calling. If he is living at home then I doubt he will be asked too many taxing questions.
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes ESA is right
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Can he not be actively seeking work with his hand in a splint?
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    It's illegal to go into work if you have been signed off by a doctor. The company does not have insurance for you so he would be unable to start any job, thus if further problems arise when the splint has been removed and he could not start work he would actually be taking the job from someone else who could start and the employer has to start looking again.

My husband cannot stand being at home and tried to get back to work after being ill but the company sent him home as they did not have insurance to cover him being there as he had a doctors note until a certain date. He was only allowed back after a certain date.

I am sure the son could seek work but as he cannot actually go into work until the doctor has given him the all clear he cannot start anyway.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options

I am sure the son could seek work but as he cannot actually go into work until the doctor has given him the all clear he cannot start anyway.

I appreciate that this is true but it seems a lot of fuss to change benefits if he's able to still claim JSA. I assume ESA is more.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Job Centre won't look at it that way, they will just be glad to put him to a different department. I suppose he could actively look for work, however would he be able to drive to interviews? If he got interviews, many people wouldn't want to employ him showing up with a disability/injury, albeit a temporary one. Job Centre would be able to advise him properly of what he should be claiming during this time.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    He can look for work but cannot actually take the work so is therefore not legally entitled to claim Jobseekers Allowance as he is not seeking a job he can start ASAP.

He could still look for work while he was getting better though and if he knew a date when he started work, without this date he is still signed off so not eligable for work and thus not eligable for JSA.
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    The whole point of JSA is that you are available to work which he would not be.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    max2009 wrote: »
    The whole point of JSA is that you are available to work which he would not be.

Rather depends what sort of work he's looking for!
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    indeed maybe he's one of those masseurs who use their feet? :rotfl:
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts