Renting out my house while on hols

Options
Hi everyone

My OH will be away for 6 weeks this summer, 3 of those I'll be away too - so I was wondering about staying with friends' floors for the remaining time and putting the house up for a short let.

We are near concert venues, cricket and football grounds and close to the city centre / hospitals / universities so I feel somebody should be interested.

Has anyone tried this? Are there agencies that can help with the logistics?

I have to admit it smells very strongly of 'more trouble than it's worth', but I'd be interested to know of your experiences.

Thanks...

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comments

• exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    I know of people who've rented out houses when the Open is at a nearby course. People do this for Wimbledon as well.

See this

http://www.findaproperty.com/edition.aspx?edid=03&opt=story&storyid=0422
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you stay on friends' floors, you might threaten your friendships, not worth the £££.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You might need permission from your mortgage and house insurance companies. It would be worth checking that out in the first instance, before making arrangements.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • mustgetoutmore
    Options
    We regularly spend 6 weeks or so in the US and rent out our bedroom while we're away. (we live in London so quite easy to do this). We use either Gumtree.com or craigslist.com and have had very nice tennants so far. We always get a reference and ask for the rent upfront plus a few weeks rent as deposit.
  • exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote:
    If you stay on friends' floors, you might threaten your friendships, not worth the £££.

Not if you give them a share of the dosh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure