We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Self Assesment late fine - query

Options
Arg! I used to be self employed so I had to do self assessment, but for the past 3 years I have been just working. anyhoo, the last self assessment I did I received a letter saying thank you and that they'd assessed me and decided I wouldn’t need to do them any more (stupidly I don't think I kept that - or if I did its lost in my "filing system").

Yesterday I got a letter telling me I’d been charge £100 for not submitting it in time. does anyone know what my chances are if I appeal?

Comments

• max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Once you stop working self-employed you notify them.I am confused why they would send a letter saying you do not need to be assessed anymore if you are working ' on the books' with someone.
  • dagrowler
    dagrowler Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    well it was when i notified them that i wasnt self employed i guess. they still made me do self assessment for a year or two and then the last time they said thanks, you dont need to do it any more..

i really hope that wasnt a dream.
    Options
    Have you tried asking them if they wrote to you? If they did, it should be recorded on your file ;)
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously if you forgot to send in a return for the previous tax year before you were working as an 'employee' you have to pay £100 fine.They would have a record of when you officially stopped work on a self-employed basis from when you notified them so you only have to assess up to that date.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    The only way to overturn a penalty notice is to file a return - there is no appeal process. if you were not self employed during the years in question, you just need to enter your PAYE salary and show the date your slef employment ceased.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    not true - you can appeal
  • dagrowler
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    The only way to overturn a penalty notice is to file a return - there is no appeal process. if you were not self employed during the years in question, you just need to enter your PAYE salary and show the date your slef employment ceased.

i think i can, i rang them yesterday and it said on the phone i can write to them.

might give them a call and see if that letter is on file. thanks for the help guys.
    If its any help I received a letter from the Inland Revenue and so did my husband to say that we no longer needed to fill in self assessment forms unless our circumstances changed and then we would need to inform them. Both of us are on PAYE. They should have a record on your files of the letter they sent you. Deffinately appeal though.
  • dagrowler
    Options
    stinkboy wrote: »
    If its any help I received a letter from the Inland Revenue and so did my husband to say that we no longer needed to fill in self assessment forms unless our circumstances changed and then we would need to inform them. Both of us are on PAYE. They should have a record on your files of the letter they sent you. Deffinately appeal though.

awesome thank you!!!
    The quickest way to sort it is just to lodge a return. Even though they have written saying you do not need to complete if they issue you with a return by law you have to submit it even though they then write saying they won't issue any more. \:confused: go figure!

The good thing is that as you've been under PAYE for the year the likelihood is that no tax will have been due by 31 January 2009 the penalty will be reduced to nil.

I've not used the HMRC website to lodge a return but it looks pretty easy. I would still write and complain about the mixed messages they've given you though!

xx
    What's fur ye won't go by ye!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family