Which course: Book-keeping and Accounts

Options
2»

Comments

• jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a qualified accountant - AAT would have been fine as a starting option as they start at the basics. After AAT to be a chartered accountant/management accountant you would have to take further exams through ACCA or CIMA.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    jessicamb wrote: »
    I'm a qualified accountant - AAT would have been fine as a starting option as they start at the basics. After AAT to be a chartered accountant/management accountant you would have to take further exams through ACCA or CIMA.

How does the profession rate the ICB qualifications?
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    Options
    bigheadxx wrote: »

I have to say I've never come across it before and I dont think it is viewed as a standard course in the management accounts field. It may be different in the firms of accountants that help small businesses (I dont have any experience here though). That said if you want to do a starter course before going into something more mainstream (and longer term) like AAT then it wont do any harm. You will probably repeat a lot of what you have learnt on your ICB course though as I believe AAT starts right at the beginning and covers booking keeping/accounts preparation in quite some detail.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    bigheadxx wrote: »

just my view but as a chartered accountant i would come across ICB a lot less often AAT, not to say there's anything wrong with ICB necessarily
  • funandfrugal
    Options
    I did AAT then CIMA stage 2, lost the will to carry on and decided I enjoyed the bookkeeping more than the Accounting. I started my own bookkeeping company then found the ICB. I was able to become a Member after proving competence, experience, references etc without taking any more exams. Its not widely heard of but brilliant. To be a certified bookkeeper (you need PI insurance to practice) takes you miles higher than someone who 'does the books'. This way I am also part qualified and QBE.
    Anyway I would reccommend AAT as a solid base then decide, especially if you are looking to become qualified.

Good luck in your studies

Trace
    x
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did the AAT to level 4, I'm a full member.
    You can go onto to ACCA with AAT 4 & you are exempt from level 1 of ACCA (or at least most of level 1), hubby keeps nagging me to do it.
  • debt12
    debt12 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I am employed in accounts now and I have really wanted to do AAT for years now but could never afford to do it or find a company to sponsor me, so this year after talking to Business Link I managed get an NVQ level II which I started last month and takes about 5 months to complete in accounts completely fully funded by them and there is talk of me starting AAT in september again fully funded on an adult apprenticeship but I am not sure whether to carry on down the NVQ route and join CIMA at a later date or go for the AAT. I would really appreciate some advice on this, sorry if it sounds like I have hijacked this post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure