Which course: Book-keeping and Accounts

Options
Would appreciate any advice or comments regarding Accountancy / Book-keeping courses?

I would like to undertake a book-keeping qualification with the view to firstly undertake book-keping work on a part time/self employed basis and secondly undertake further training to become a fully qualified accountant. I am considering the ICB route as I can do the exams at home and they can be taken any time. I have enough experience to do these without attending a course.

What I would like to know is would an ICB qualification/membership enable me to enrol on AAT course at a higher level some time in the future?

Has anybody else followed the same route and qualified as an accountant?

What time scale might I be looking at?

Is there a better route to getting what I want?

Comments

• Ballymackeonan
    Options
    If you want to go further with accountancy training, it might be better to check out qualification as an accounting technician - this then has a clear path to becoming a certified accountant (and I know someone who's done just that - it took her about 5 years) There may be evening classes available at your local FE college, home study can work for you, but you need a lot of motivation and discipline, whereas being part of a group can give you a chance to discuss things with other students.

Good luck!
  • bohobecky_2
    bohobecky_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bighead

I am currently studying with the AAT at college - there courses are available through a few suppliers as home study.

Their course content is good, my only hint would be check out the past test/exam papers available online as how I have always done double entry and how they want it laid out for exam purposes sometimes differs..

I spoke to some accountants and they say AAT is one of many routes used to become a fully fledged accountant - well I hope they are right now I am on it!!:rolleyes:

I do books for a few small businesses around here and work closely with their accountants which has been invaluable in my studies.

There are so many courses/organisations out there I don't think there are any particular rights or wrongs. All roads lead to Rome and all that!!

I haven't really heard of ICB before though and whilst there website may not be as spangly as others the courses look cheap enough (a lot cheaper than AAT) and it all looks quite good.

Sorry if thats sitting on the fence!

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.. I may follow in your footsteps!

Toodlepip

Rebecca
  • bohobecky_2
    bohobecky_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies - just noticed an error in my previous post.

Was looking at the wrong website when commenting on the ICB - http://www.book-keeping-courses.co.uk/icb-bookkeeping-courses.htm?cr!!!!!google&gclid=CJfA17u_kZkCFUiT3wodiWs2bg

instead of the actual ICB website which actual looks quite nice and straight forward... http://www.book-keepers.org/

I blame it on the man flu I am currently surrendering to..

I am going to look into the ICB further myself as they look like a useful organisation.

Cheers
    Rebecca
  • bigheadxx
    bigheadxx Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for post. I am keen on ICB because it seems like a low risk low cost option to get my foot in the door. If I was sure ICB would definitely be recognised by AAT at later date I would not hesitate really.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would recommend going straight onto the AAT and then using that to get some exemptions from a professional accounting qualification

what qualifications do you have atm?
  • bigheadxx
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    I would recommend going straight onto the AAT and then using that to get some exemptions from a professional accounting qualification

what qualifications do you have atm?

3 A-levels and Business / Hospitality degree
  • timnicebutdim_2
    Options
    Hi, anyone can start year 2 of the AAT (level 3) but to do this and not struggle you would need some knowledge of book keeping. So for example you could do your ICB and then enter the AAT at level 3 if it's cheaper and easier. Or you could try this:

http://www.aat.org.uk/search/content/item2560/

I've just finished year 1 by distance learning with kaplan (diploma route) which went well and gave me a good grounding in book keeping. With distance learning you have to be self disciplined but so long as you put in several hours a week it's manageable. Year 1 is approx £400, Year 2 £500 and Year 3 £600 although my employer is paying for it. ;)

Also check out the AAT e-learning modules for the basics of book keeping

http://www.aat.org.uk/elearning/introduction_to_debk/
  • bigheadxx
    Options
    E-learning link to AAT is excellent, thanks very much!
  • timnicebutdim_2
    Options
    No probs, i really found it useful when trying to get my head round debits and credits! Good luck with it all :beer:
  • bigheadxx
    Options
    Have joined ICB as student member and hoping to start taking the exams ASAP. Does anybody have any ICB past papers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure