We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Travel insurance if airline goes bust....

Hi all,

I am hoping that one of you can help.

I am trying to find out if there is an insurance policy that will cover individuals if an airline goes bust. I know about SAFI but I am after a policy that will also cover the accommodation costs if the airline goes bust. So if for example Monarch went under I need a policy that will cover the villa that is booked independently. Apparently SAFI only covers the flights and the other policies I have looked at will not cover the accommodation if I have to cancel because the airline went bang.

Does this make sense??:confused:

I hope someone can help. :D

Comments

  • llindsey
    llindsey Posts: 127 Forumite
    would the travel insurance not cover the cost of alternative flights to your destination anyway? therefore ensuring that you still got to go on your hols.
  • I always book independantly, flights hotels etc, and have just bought supplier failure cover which covers all separate aspects of the trip - try http://www.supplierfailurecover.com not expensive either. But it is in addition to your normal travel insurance, not instead of.

    HTH
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,636 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    PJ Haymen offer this cover as part of their Travel Insurance Policy under their Travel Plus Policy which includes cover for Financial Failure of the Airline or Accomadation Provider.

    There is another company that offer it as this question came up last week, I'll try and find it
  • Scarpetta
    Scarpetta Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi,

    Thank you all for your help so far.
    Re the alternative flights comment, not they won't unless you have the SAFI add on. The issue is if no other flights are available for a few days and for a week long holiday it is then not worthwhile. :(

    pigsCANfly - Thank you - I have just looked at their website and on the face of it they seem to be offering exactly what I was looking for!
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Scarpetta wrote: »
    Re the alternative flights comment, not they won't unless you have the SAFI add on. The issue is if no other flights are available for a few days and for a week long holiday it is then not worthwhile. :(

    Don't they also pay to extend your holiday to its original length? I may be mistaken, but it's worth investigating...
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,636 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I don't think they do cover it as the policy basically says if you have to cancel before the trip they give you your money back, if they go bust during the trip it says it covers they will pay up to £5000 to replace that element of the trip.

    It has the normal all catching exclusion for "Any Consquential Losses not outlined in the policy".

    I might be wrong but knowing how policies are worded, when it says "Replace that element of the trip" I would take that as getting an alternative flight if the airline when and then staying at the original hotel or the same airline and a different hotel if the hotel went bust.

    You could check it with the companyas I might be wrong as they do not explain in the word "Element" means
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.