PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

back boiler in rented?

Options
someone's told me that you're not allowed to have back boilers in rented properties anymore.
I know that the council ripped them out of the last of their houses recently and put new boilers in. I assumed it was as much about efficiency as actually anything else...

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Private ... I know someone who's gas fire in the front room is disconnected cos there's a back boiler that has been left ... whilst a new boiler has been put in the back room...

I don't quite understand why the landlord won't fix the gas fire ...but it's something to do with the back boiler.
  • littlened
    littlened Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think there are any restrictions on it, many council houses round our way are fitted with back boilers.

Having a back boiler doesn't necessarily mean you have solid fuel, it just means you've got a boiler behind your fire, which could be gas.

The fact councils still have properties with back boilers would probably suggest that it's ok to have them.

One of the main issues with them I believe, is that the parts are difficult to get hold of, so when they break, they're usually replaced with combi's
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    poppy - don't know about rented, but I have a back boiler (gas) and attached gas fire. It's just had its annual service and no problems.

I'm aware there are better options now, as you would expect. Sounds like the whole system broke down in your case and the fire needs replacing. Have to say - I never use the fire - waste of space really.
  • gasdoctor
    Options
    Existing Back Boilers are still allowed in any property.
    Rented property should have a landlords certificate issued annually
    which ensures the gas equipment has been inspected.
    The tenant should be given a copy.
    Correct ventilation is paramount with these units.
    (Not allowed in bedroom or bed sitting room)
  • besonders1
    besonders1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think there are banned because the back boilers are used in connection with water tanks which are prone to leaking if the property is left unattended which can cost thousands of damage to the ceilings and plaster. Combi's are unreliable and many people who have them prefer back boilers as they are more robust for larger families.
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    I'm renting and have a back boiler.

My boyfriend said you're not allowed to install new back boilers because they are too ineffecient, but you can keep and repair the one you have. I don't know where he read or heard this though.
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options
    I'm renting and have a back boiler.

My boyfriend said you're not allowed to install new back boilers because they are too ineffecient, but you can keep and repair the one you have. I don't know where he read or heard this though.
    Yep just the replacement that is usually forbidden (unless in a flat/terrace where physically difficult - where it is still allowed and yes they do still make them) - the ban on replacements is entirely on efficiency and environmental grounds nothing to do with safety. In hard water areas a combi will be lucky to do 10 years but not unheard of for a back to do 40 years.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    combis are no longer legal anyway - new boilers have to be condensing boilers
  • m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    combis are no longer legal anyway - new boilers have to be condensing boilers
    Condensing combis are widely available. Combis are just boilers that do a combination of tasks including instant hot water so you don't need a hot water cylinder. SEDBUK band A is the thing to look out for - it means the boiler is rated as in the highest band for efficiency.
    SEDBUK is an acronym for 'Seasonal Efficiency of a Domestic Boiler in the UK'. The system was developed under the UK Government's energy efficiency best practice programme with the co-operation of boiler manufacturers and provides a basis for fair comparison of different models of boilers.

The SEDBUK rating is the average annual efficiency achieved in typical domestic situations, making sensible assumptions about climate, control, pattern of usage and other similar factors. The rating is calculated from laboratory tests together with other important factors such as boiler type, fuel used, ignition type, UK climate, boiler water content and typical domestic usage patterns. For estimating annual fuel running costs SEDBUK is a better guide than laboratory test results alone.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    someone's told me that you're not allowed to have back boilers in rented properties anymore....
    poppysarah wrote: »
    Private ... I know someone who's gas fire in the front room is disconnected cos there's a back boiler that has been left ... whilst a new boiler has been put in the back room...

I don't quite understand why the landlord won't fix the gas fire ...but it's something to do with the back boiler.
    Ppoppysarah - I think that maybe what you have heard about emanates from the HSE advice on redundant back boilers: they issued a warning because there have been incidents in which the old boiler has been left drained down/sealed but then a solid fuel fire has been lit in the firegrate and caused the boiler casing to explode. The HSE guidance on best practice with redundant back boilers can be found here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure