We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Milton Keynes to Bristol

I'm in the process of applying to Uni and I want to go to the next UWE open day, but return train tickets from Milton Keynes to Bristol are around £60! I've had a look around, and taking the X5 to Oxford, and then the train to Bristol seems to be the cheapest way (at around £30 return), but I was wondering if anyone here knew of a cheaper (and less complicated) way?
«1

Comments

  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Have you looked at getting cheap(er) advance tickets via London?
  • Mierot
    Mierot Posts: 9 Forumite
    I'm afraid the £60 return was the advance via London! :eek:
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    OK, have you tried getting a normal fare into London (on London Midland services if they're cheaper) and cheap 'advance' fares from Paddington to Bristol?
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Train to London, Megabus to Bristol and then get a bus (UWE run special services around Bristol).
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Got it!

    Milton Keynes to Birmingham New St, London Midland 'super off peak return' £6.60
    Brum to Bristol, either 'off peak return' for £28 or advance singles £7.25 e/w
    = return fare from £21.50

    (I'm assuming that, as a student, you have a Y-P railcard)
  • Mierot
    Mierot Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hmm...I think it would be around £40 (Milton Keynes to London -£13.50 & Paddington to Bristol £27.00)
  • Mierot
    Mierot Posts: 9 Forumite
    Got it!

    Milton Keynes to Birmingham New St, London Midland 'super off peak return' £6.60
    Brum to Bristol, either 'off peak return' for £28 or advance singles £7.25 e/w
    = return fare from £21.50

    (I'm assuming that, as a student, you have a Y-P railcard)

    No I don't :( I'm sure I could borrow one though...
    Fantastic!
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Mierot wrote: »
    No I don't :( I'm sure I could borrow one though...
    Fantastic!

    You can't borrow one - they have a photo and they're very strict about only letting you use your own. I would recommend getting your own though - they're quite cheap really, and I dare say this will be only the first of many such trips you make in the next 12 months...
  • Mierot
    Mierot Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hmm, I'm sure one of my friends managed to, or maybe it was another travel card heheh... I'll definitely look into though, but I doubt I'll get it before the open day :/
    Oh well, it'll be useful for interviews and such.

    Do you have a link to the Birmingham to Bristol tickets?
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Mierot wrote: »
    I'll definitely look into though, but I doubt I'll get it before the open day :/

    Do you have a link to the Birmingham to Bristol tickets?

    Why won't you get it? You can buy it at any staffed station as long as you take a photo. If you'd got the £60 ticket it would pretty much have paid for itself in that one trip!

    I just put Birmingham to Bristol into the nxec booking engine for a random date and that's what came up. Make sure you select 'Temple Meads' though - Bristol Parkway station is miles from anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.