We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Prices in Paris

My Daughter is off to Paris next week with school. Having never been I have no idea what the prices will be like. They will be buying lunch every day and snacks and probably small gifts and souvenirs.

What sort of amounts are things likely to cost?

Thanks for any ideas :j
:beer:
«1

Comments

  • Mierot
    Mierot Posts: 9 Forumite
    When I went last month, the price of anything in Paris seemed to vary a lot, but I found things to be generally more expensive then they would've been in the UK. Having said that, I did manage to find a couple of Lidl's there, where lunchy/snacky-type things were pretty cheap. Restaurant menu's were also cheaper at midday than the evening (I highly recomend a place called 'Ice-cream Dream' tucked in by the side of the Pompidou; the owner speaks english and makes the most amazing ice cream! It's also pretty cheap and they even made me something veggetarian ^-^ ).
    Just be careful of places right next to tourist attractions, even if the food is (relativly) cheap, the drinks are often 3 times the price.

    Small gifts (like little eiffle towers and mini-posters) are around 2/3/4 euros.

    Sorry I couldn't be more help with actual numbers :/
  • MancBrel
    MancBrel Posts: 223 Forumite
    I'm surprised that the school haven't issued spending money advice/limits? They did in my day!

    Paris is expensive at the best of times, the current weakness of sterling makes it even worse. I imagine lunch will be a baguette on the go (about £5 will be enough for that), otherwise a plait du jour for about £10. So maybe £20 a day should cover it? More perhaps for older children?

    You can tell I don't have kids?
  • Thanks to both of you for your help.

    School were not very helpful with a guide, at the meeting when pushed for an answer to how much they should take the teacher (who lived in Paris for 2 years!) said 50 euros should be enough for the food - this is for 5 lunches, snacks and 1 evening meal!! Not sure what planet she lives!!

    I think 20 a day seems quite reasonable and I feel a little more at ease now - it's so difficult because I don't want to let her go with too much - being a teenager there'll be no change - but I don't want her to go without.
    :beer:
  • safetyelf
    safetyelf Posts: 55 Forumite
    Don't forget to factor in breakfast (if they're not getting it at their hotel), it's the most important meal of the day afterall ;).

    Pattiseries will do a couple of croissants (or danish) and a coffee for about 2.5 euros, but if you have breakfast in a cafe in a tourist spot, it can reach 10 euros.

    Plate de jours were 10 - 15 euros in January at lunchtime, rising to 15 - 25 in an evening.

    Souveniers were expensive too.

    You might want to raise that to 25 a day? I know what teenagers are like!
    'elf and safety guru
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    I'd send her with one and a half times what you would send her with if she was going to London for the trip.

    Hope she has a lovely time. It's a beautiful city.
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    I think 20 a day seems quite reasonable and I feel a little more at ease now - it's so difficult because I don't want to let her go with too much - being a teenager there'll be no change - but I don't want her to go without.

    20 pounds a day? For a school trip? If there's no chance she'll be frugal and keep what she doesn't need I'd say even 20 euros is pushing it. Does the school expect all kids going to be rich? Some kids going with loads of money will undoubtedly put strain on parents who can't really afford to give that much, and frankly on a school trip it's unneccessary. And I speak as someone both of your daughter's generation and who has lived in Paris.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    about the same as london
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • I feel she'll have plenty and if she wants to treat herself after paying for food that's fine as the condition on her going was that she saved all the spending/food money herself.

    She's there now so I'll let you know how it goes.
    :beer:
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    20 pounds a day? For a school trip? If there's no chance she'll be frugal and keep what she doesn't need I'd say even 20 euros is pushing it. Does the school expect all kids going to be rich? Some kids going with loads of money will undoubtedly put strain on parents who can't really afford to give that much, and frankly on a school trip it's unneccessary. And I speak as someone both of your daughter's generation and who has lived in Paris.

    And the difference between 20 euros a day and 20 pounds a day would be...
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Pee wrote: »
    And the difference between 20 euros a day and 20 pounds a day would be...

    £1.50 at the moment, but it's more a symbolic thing than anything else!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.