We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Time between connecting flights?

Hi, just a quick question before we book this.

Our flight arrives in Gatwick at 15.10 & I have 2 choices for my flight to get back home. The one I'd like leaves Gatwick at 16.25 but am i leaving enough time in to get to it? Should I play safe and book the next one at 19.55? That would mean a long wait at the airport:rolleyes:

TIA

Comments

  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    tiamaria wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick question before we book this.

    Our flight arrives in Gatwick at 15.10 & I have 2 choices for my flight to get back home. The one I'd like leaves Gatwick at 16.25 but am i leaving enough time in to get to it? Should I play safe and book the next one at 19.55? That would mean a long wait at the airport:rolleyes:

    TIA

    Are the flights with the same airline or separate? If you are booking separately then get the later one because if you miss it the airline wont bear the responsibility of your connection. If you are with same airline get the earlier one since a good hour is fine for Gatwick and if you do miss it the airline will bump you onto the next available at no cost.
  • 987654
    987654 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Do you need to change terminals?
  • Aidenr
    Aidenr Posts: 208 Forumite
    If your bags are checked all the way through to your final destination and you have a boarding card for the second leg then you will be fine. Like said above and you are doing 2 separate flight bookings, get the later one.

    We always advise 1.5hrs if on 2 different bookings

    A
    I am a Travel Agent
    My company’s ABTA number is V2043. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
    I am also Cabin Crew, my posts are my own and not that of the airline or other company
  • I flew in the Summer with Delta from LGW-ATL-SDF (Kentucky)

    I was overly-cautious, and could have got a plane at something like 4, but went for one that was at 7 'just in case'. I dont mind waiting around and would rather not have to worry about the connecting flight, but if you are in a rush to get home then risk it for a biscuit!
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    If it's a through ticket get the earlier one cos if there's a problem the airline will just put you on the next flight anyway. If it's a different company/alliance, or especially if it's a budget airline, you're much better off getting the later one. If you turn up at the easyJet desk, for example, saying you missed it cos your first flight was late in they'll just laugh at you and tell you you're stuck. (On the other hand, if you do book the later one and get there in time for the earlier one most airlines - including easyJet - will allow you to transfer free to the earlier one if there are seats available.)
  • tiamaria
    tiamaria Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all your replies, they are 2 totally different flights and airlines. Haven't looked at which terminals they are yet. Judging by your replies it Sounds like I'd be risking it booking the earlier one - maybe I'll see what time the trains are instead - that may be quicker than waiting at Gatwick:rolleyes:
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    tiamaria wrote: »
    Sounds like I'd be risking it booking the earlier one
    It's not a risk, it's a certainty that you'd miss the onward flight by the time you've gone through immigration, collected your luggage, found the right terminal, found the check-in desk by which time check-in will have been closed for 40 minutes or more
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.