deemed tariff refund

Options
jaymmu
jaymmu Posts: 23 Forumite
Hi, I moved into a 1 bedroom flat back in June and the estate agent sent my details to EON, after about 4 months I got a bill from EON which was high to say the least. I forgot about the bill, then got another one 2 months later to show that I now owed EON £750 for 6 months use (in a 1 bed, in the summer, and i don't have storage heaters). I have paid off £350 of the bill in one go and want to move to EDF now but the bill is increasing more quickly than i can pay it off. I have done some research and have found that I am on the "deemed tariff", this was applied when i moved into the flat, but i don't recall being told about it by EON.
I feel that it's extremely unfair to have been charged the deemed tariff and would like to know if anyone has successfully gotten a refund, or rebate from being on this rip-off tariff.

Comments

• SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm fairly sure the deemed tariff is in fact their standard tariff.
    Usually the cheaper tariffs are DD and online, and they need details from you to set them up. As you took no action to find yourslef a tariff that suited you, it is very unlikely you will get a refund rebate or reduction.
    Next step, get yourself on a cheaper tariff. Use the comparison sites listed at top of page (average consumption is 20500 kWh for gas, 3300 for ele - use these to give you an idea, or double the kWh used form the 6 month bill).
  • Energyman_2
    Options
    Deemed tariff normally refersto a out of contract business tariff - Is the flat incorrectly registered as a business? Check top line of supply number - should be 02 in your case and check which part of EON has sent bill - business or domestic.

If not on a business tariff then it is probably their standard tariff for the area.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    When he says deemed tariff, he means he took over the supply from the previous occupier which he will have entered into a deemed contract as eon were supplying when he moved in. You will be on their standard tariff.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi jaymmu,

As Energyman points out check it is definitely a domestic bill.

If it is the advice of the other posters will be accurate, ‘deemed’ means the original supplier at a property becomes your supplier automatically when you move in or buy.

The tariff will be the standard prices, this is normal for new customers taking over a property.

You can arrange a transfer to a new supplier as soon as you have taken responsibility of the property, however you will always have the original supplier for a period of time.

A rebate or refund won’t be on the cards as this ‘deemed’ supplier/tariff process is industry wide and part of the Utilities Act 2000.

I’d contact E.ON and see if you can discuss a payment arrangement to help you clear the balance, in manageable amounts. Also talk about different tariffs that may help save some money from the off (worth saving if you can whilst you shop around). :)

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure