We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help with a Trip to Italy please

We are thinking of a trip to Italy. Last year we went to Sienna for a week and Lake Garda for a week - we did not hire a car and found the train cheap and reliable. Last years trip was very enjoyable for all and we would like to visit other places in Italy. Problem is this - we have done Sorrento and Amalfi Coast. Also been to Tuscany and are going on a weeks holiday in October to Rome so we are running out of places to go. There will be 6 adults (two parents and two offspring aged 19 and 20 and friends of each) so 6 in total. Does anybody have experience of Venetian Riviera as I was thinking we could maybe go for a week there and as Venice is fairly close by we could do a trip there - where else could we stay for a week? - don't mind a bit of a trek again by train as this did not pose a problem last year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

TIA

Savvyshopper

Comments

  • scorpiokitten
    scorpiokitten Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ahh, Bella Italia :)

    I am 1/2 Italian (my father hailing from Napoli) so have been to a lot of places in Italy and her islands on my holidays as, apart from the heritage conenctions, i'm an absolute sucker for the food! :D

    We went to Lido de Jesolo a few years back and took a day trip over to Venice. I highly recommend this as Venice is a must see!

    We got great rates for HB at the 4* Hotel Victoria (link here) a wonderfully located, on the beach hotel with excellent tripadvisor reviews.
    We coupled this gem with cheap flights from Ryanair to Treviso airport and had a fantastic and affordable time (basically to me meaning more money for food whilst over there! lol :p )

    Well worth checking out. I have been many places in Italy and know a fair bit about the country (and hey, what i don't know, i'll ask my dad for you ;) ) so I am more than happy to help should you want any more suggestions
    there.

    xx
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I had my honeymoon in Lido di Jesolo and had a holiday there with a school chum. It was great plus it is easy to hop on a coach to Cortina in the Dolomites and even to Vienna as well as Venice and the islands in the lagoon. I would recommend it as I had a fab time, in fact my school chum and I still talk about our trip to Lido di Jesolo:D

    Also Lake Como is great, you can fly from Gatwick to Bergamo and then get the train from Bergamo to Varenna but you change at Lecco (use this if you are going to Mennaggio on Lake Como) you get ferries across the lake. This is also great because you can use the buses quite cheaply. If you take your passport with you you can even spend the day in Switzerland as it is only an hour's bus ride away.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

    Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    The Cinque Terre and Florence and Pisa... that is just beautiful. Venice is lovely. I haven't been to the riviera. I'm looking forward to going back to Italy, but maybe not until the Euro picks up.
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    I second Florence. Especially if you can go off season and beat the queues. We got a good deal with expedia on a lovely boutique hotel called Hotel Dei Medici. Really well comfortable and well placed. Walking distance from everywhere and tucked away on a side street so quiet.
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.